Small-Medium Breed LSG Dogs

I really don't make the distinction, but I understand that makes it harder to discuss, plus I opened up about wanting a house dog.

By "not pet" I don't mean out on a chain in the back yard, but that's the image that is conjured, that there will be no love or socialization, no interaction just pure utility or neglect.

Let me be clear whether dogs are inside or out, it makes no difference. I treat them all as family. If I did get a LSG I wouldn't likely get one unless it was a rescue situation and even then I would look for another dog.

Not sure which will happen first, house dog or LSG's or both.

I use English Shepherds as poultry guardians. They actually focus more on guarding the property the free-range and confined chickens are kept on. My chickens are spread out over multiple acres. I have been starting with pups so I have greater control over what the dogs ultimately do. Fencing is part of program. I'm getting into sheep and goats that help manage chicken foraging areas.

I really don't make the distinction, but I understand that makes it harder to discuss, plus I opened up about wanting a house dog.

By "not pet" I don't mean out on a chain in the back yard, but that's the image that is conjured, that there will be no love or socialization, no interaction just pure utility or neglect.

Let me be clear whether dogs are inside or out, it makes no difference. I treat them all as family. If I did get a LSG I wouldn't likely get one unless it was a rescue situation and even then I would look for another dog.

Not sure which will happen first, house dog or LSG's or both.
I did not think you would be neglecting the dog, sorry if that's what you took from it. What I was getting at is some breeds may not do well in the situation you are proposing. Specifically I was talking about the herding breeds, several of which were at the top of your list. They tend to do best with a lot of human interaction, socializing and training. Left to their own devices for much of the time they can develop some bad habits, because they are most often easily bored and have high energy and prey drive. I was only trying to give advice based on my experiences, which I thought was what you were looking for. 🤷‍♀️

I hadn't intended to get a Belgian to house outdoors, although it crossed my mind once I was thinking of LSG, then I read more about them. I was originally looking for a partner to my last dog. I'm still interested in a finding him a partner and also two outdoor guardians. I am not inclined to keep just one animal of any kind.

I'm just exploring options with everyone's experiences, and wanted to make sure no one mistook my questions for complete ignorance. I do appreciate the input!

I use English Shepherds as poultry guardians. They actually focus more on guarding the property the free-range and confined chickens are kept on. My chickens are spread out over multiple acres. I have been starting with pups so I have greater control over what the dogs ultimately do. Fencing is part of program. I'm getting into sheep and goats that help manage chicken foraging areas.
These weren't on my radar, just doing a search on them and they remind me of the Shetland and Aussies.

Back
Top Bottom