Small-portable electric fence

AnnainMD

Songster
12 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Eldersburg, MD
I know there have been several posts about this but I still haven't found the answer I need. And if I've posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move it!

We will have permanent runs set up for the 8 chickens we plan to have. What we would like to do is have them "free-range" in a focused area as the weather/time permits.

This is my issue: we have several owned dogs that like to run around our suburban neighborhood and I want to keep them from attacking my chickens when they're not in their permanent runs. The dog fence idea is one option but it's big. Plus, I would think I would have to really reinforce/stake it to keep the dogs from running into the fence and knocking it down.
My goal is to keep the dogs away from my chickens and I think a good **zap** would work. The fence would only serve 2 purposes: locate the chickens in one area and keep dogs away from them.

The chickens would not be outside like that all day, alone. My thought is that we would range them when we're out working on the garden or just playing outside. But I've seen how fast the dogs come barreling around the corner of the house and I KNOW I wouldn't have time to gather up 8 chickens before all heck broke loose...

So would an electric fence work to keep the dogs back? I want something small, light, easy to set up and very portable/storable. Is electric fencing the answer? PLUS, I CAN plug it in to an outside outlet.

To keep the dogs out of your chicken area, your best bet would be electronet (www.premier1supplies.com is my fave; www.kencove.com also sells a similar product). If you get the 48" high stuff and attach a GOOD CHARGER to it, it will "mostly" keep dogs out. Do get a big enough charger, as the teeny weeny ones just don't have enough zap for this much fence (it draws more current than a regular electric-wire fence) and do get a good digital fence-tester (and use it every day or two), not one of the four-neon-lights ones which are too inaccurate to ensure chickens' safety.

One warning, though - if dogs run real fast into the electronet without seeing it or perhaps without realizing it is charged, they can knock it down (or get tangled in it) before even realizing it is supposed to be a barrier. It really works best in a situation where dogs can be trained to it or will approach slowly enough to 'train themselves'. Also, between the electronet and a decent charger, it is not cheap.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Honestly I do not see any advantage to the electronet you linked to, as opposed to Premier - they are actually *more expensive*, and I seriously doubt the product is better than Premier's (may not even be as good). Premier does sell 82' half-rolls, you know.

I would not use the bear netting. First, because it is low enough that most dogs could easily jump over it; second, because the holes are so large as to encourage chickens to pop through it; and thirdly because (personal choice) I like Premier better and they sell the same thing too you know
tongue.png

I would really suggest using something *at least* 42" high, preferably 48", with holes small enough not to encourage chickens to go through it, and good-quality. (The better quality nets will hold a higher charge for a given fence charger due to being more electrically conductive; and will not sag as much)

If you really want a very *short* piece of netting, I believe Premier now sells 20' (??) lengths as gates -- although I am not sure you could get it in the poultry mesh, you might have to buy the 4x4" sheep/goat electronet instead. Browse their website, see what your options are.

JMHO,

Pat

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying about the height of the fence and the bear exclusion fence. I see Premier actually has a 25' fence option in the PermaNet, but as you say it's not the Poultry netting. I'll have to call and ask about the spacing.

Back
Top Bottom