Small pupil/ no other symptoms

Advar85

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
My 1.5 year old Delaware has a pupil that look completely different for the other and the other hens. She has no other symptoms, she eats, she plays, she lay eggs daily and seems very happy. I bought her in tractor supply and I kept her up organic. She only eats organic food and I don’t give her medicine. I was under the impression that the chicks are vaccinated when we buy them there. I read about Mareks, but I can’t see any other symptoms and my child told me that she’s been like that for at least four months. (Shame on me, I didn’t listened to him). I don’t want to kill her since she seems fine, the other girls are okay (Rhode Island). My chickens are backyard flock in the middle of the city, so I don’t know how they could’ve catch a desease. Please, any advice can help we are very attached her.

Attachments

• 46D5E791-23AF-4CD1-8ADA-67E02E1D4999.jpeg
    46D5E791-23AF-4CD1-8ADA-67E02E1D4999.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 9
  • A7E072EC-A801-48F4-912C-6707802C4F32.jpeg
    A7E072EC-A801-48F4-912C-6707802C4F32.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 6
Looks like Ocular Marek's.

Unfortunately they can get Marek's from just about anywhere. If you visit another farm or other chickens that are carriers, you can bring it home to them. Wild birds can also bring it in I believe.

Have you taken any birds anywhere or brought in any other birds?

I personally wouldn't cull if she's not showing any other symptoms. I would close your flock though until you know if that's indeed what it is. Unfortunately the most accurate way is through necropsy.

Looks like Ocular Marek's.

Unfortunately they can get Marek's from just about anywhere. If you visit another farm or other chickens that are carriers, you can bring it home to them. Wild birds can also bring it in I believe.

Have you taken any birds anywhere or brought in any other birds?

I personally wouldn't cull if she's not showing any other symptoms. I would close your flock though until you know if that's indeed what it is. Unfortunately the most accurate way is through necropsy.
Thank you, and I don’t plan to get any more chicks soon, when you mention wild birds, I notice that when I feed them all the neighborhood birds join them, that could be the reason, I was concerned about eating the eggs and having the other girls infected, I’m just sad because they bring so much joy to me and my kids. Can I continue eating their eggs, and should I separate her for the rest? (she’s been like this for at least 3 months) no symptoms on the other girls.

Thank you, and I don’t plan to get any more chicks soon, when you mention wild birds, I notice that when I feed them all the neighborhood birds join them, that could be the reason, I was concerned about eating the eggs and having the other girls infected, I’m just sad because they bring so much joy to me and my kids. Can I continue eating their eggs, and should I separate her for the rest? (she’s been like this for at least 3 months) no symptoms on the other girls.
They've all already been exposed if it's Marek's. Separating her isn't going to help anyone.

You can absolutely eat the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom