My hen is making gurgling/gargling sounds.

sacredsycamorefarm

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2023
Today, I woke up, and when I went to release my goats from the barn, my chicken had been left inside the barn somehow. But something strange is that she was making gurgling/gargling sounds like she was gargling water as a human would. She is usually more skittish, but she barely moved when I went to grab her. I want to say she's 2-4 years old. She's an easter egger banyard mix, and she has a weird eye. It has a very small pupil, it's been that way since she hatched. None of my other chickens are doing it. Does she have a respiratory infection? I'm keeping her in the barn for now separating with food and water. Anything else I should be doing? I believe she is vaccinated for Marek's.

She may have a crop issue. It can make that noise when it's so full of fluids that they reflux into the esophagus. Has any come out of her beak when you've picked her up? That sometimes also happens. Read this. It can inform you with more detail. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You will want to put her someplace where she won't eat or drink anything tonight or before you can feel her crop in the morning to check its condition. That will tell you if she has a crop issue that needs treating. After you check her crop go ahead and give her food and water.

It is possible she has a respiratory illness. By morning, that may be more apparent if this is what's going on. Look for bubbly eyes or drips from her nares. Sneezing and coughing are other symptoms to look for.

Post here after you check her in the morning and we'll go over what you've reported.

She may have a crop issue. It can make that noise when it's so full of fluids that they reflux into the esophagus. Has any come out of her beak when you've picked her up? That sometimes also happens. Read this. It can inform you with more detail. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You will want to put her someplace where she won't eat or drink anything tonight or before you can feel her crop in the morning to check its condition. That will tell you if she has a crop issue that needs treating. After you check her crop go ahead and give her food and water.

It is possible she has a respiratory illness. By morning, that may be more apparent if this is what's going on. Look for bubbly eyes or drips from her nares. Sneezing and coughing are other symptoms to look for.

Post here after you check her in the morning and we'll go over what you've reported.
I am having a similar issue. My hen is gurgling and making a clicking sound when she breathes. I gave her some poultry cell and probably 250 mg of vitamin c mixed in water. She’s eating a little. I posted about her last night. She isn’t better but not worse per se. I will see how she is in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom