Sick Duck

Florida Farm

Hatching
Jan 7, 2024
Hello! I have a pet duck here that I’m trying to help. She is about 2 years old, was perfectly fine until 4 days ago. She normally went into the coop the previous evening and did not come out the following morning. I went to check on her and found her sitting down with her neck dropped down (like in a sleeping position) and she couldn’t stand up. In addition, observed very liquid poop, more than usual. No other symptoms. She’s been like this for full 4 days. Her eyes are very clear and she seems alert. After she drinks and eats, she gains some strength to stand up and walk few steps but then sits down and stays like that whole day. She has much trouble to stand up. After she stands up, she seems to walk better with every step so I don’t think it would be leg injury but I may be wrong. She’s not laying eggs and has not been as there is no male. She just seems very weak/have weak legs and neck. I don’t think there is anything under her foot (bumble foot).

As mentioned, she was very energetic just a day before this happened and ran to me very fast. I don’t know what may have caused this basically overnight. There is only one other female duck with her, no male ducks, but there are also genies and chickens with rooster on the property. I keep her in a separate coop 24/7 now so nobody disturbs her but also put her duck friend with her for the night as she seems to bright up when she has company.

I keep giving her water with “Rooster Booster” vitamins with electrolytes, duck feed and corn, and also water with apple cider vinegar. I tried to get a vet but there isn’t any that would see a duck. Does this sound like symptoms anyone recognizes and is there anything else I could do to help Donnie?

Attachments

• IMG_9605.jpeg
    IMG_9605.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9640.jpeg
    IMG_9640.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 6
How much corn does she get?
Does she get any clean water without the vinegar?
She looks like a muscovy.
Have you ever wormed her?
Is she molting?
She could be coming into lay.
Birds will lay eggs whether or not they ever even see a male, its ovulation, not a result of breeding.

Is she molting?
Birds will lay eggs whether or not they ever even see a male, its ovulation, not a result of breeding.

Is she molting?
Thank you so much for the reply! Normally, she was getting corn with other birds so whatever she ate. Right now, I give her a bowl with lots of corn and duck feed but she only eats very little (like three picks when I’m there and I don’t think she eats (or maybe very little) when I’m not there as it looks rather untouched. After she got sick, on day 1 I only gave her clean filtered water as I didn’t have anything else. Day 2 and 3 I only gave her vitamin water with electrolytes and this seemed to be helping. Day 4 (today) I gave her one bowl with vitamins/electrolytes and 1 with vinegar, no clean water. No, never dewormed and unsure about molting, I’m very new to ducks (these two ducks were my neighbor’s but befriended me and became my pets just 2 months ago). My neighbor is also unsure about molting as he never gave much attention. Sorry cannot be more specific. I’ll leave also clean water, please let me know if you’re aware of anything else I could do.

Thank you so much for the reply! Normally, she was getting corn with other birds so whatever she ate. Right now, I give her a bowl with lots of corn and duck feed but she only eats very little (like three picks when I’m there and I don’t think she eats (or maybe very little) when I’m not there as it looks rather untouched. After she got sick, on day 1 I only gave her clean filtered water as I didn’t have anything else. Day 2 and 3 I only gave her vitamin water with electrolytes and this seemed to be helping. Day 4 (today) I gave her one bowl with vitamins/electrolytes and 1 with vinegar, no clean water. No, never dewormed and unsure about molting, I’m very new to ducks (these two ducks were my neighbor’s but befriended me and became my pets just 2 months ago). My neighbor is also unsure about molting as he never gave much attention. Sorry cannot be more specific. I’ll leave also clean water, please let me know if you’re aware of anything else I could do.
I'd cut out the corn completely for now, it's not great for them. She might just be under the weather.

I'd cut out the corn completely for now, it's not great for them. She might just be under the weather.
Will do. After more observation, I think she actually has a leg injury, maybe a strain. Will keep feeding her and it should heal on its own. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom