Small rant

mom'sfolly :

The census is constitutionally mandated. Anyone who has done any genealogy, loves census records. It apportions congressional seats, which is specifically why it is done. It also provides valuable information about Americans and America as a whole.

I don't have a problem with the census.....I've used those records many times in genealogy research.....It's the letter telling me the census is coming that seems like a total waste of taxpayer dollars. Just send me the census and be done with it.​

Valid point. Why not just send the dang form?
Why send a letter saying "Coming Soon, To A Mailbox Near You"?

Just put it on the local fast food marquee.

BTW, if you don't return it? They just send a person to your house. Easier to just fill it out and get it back to them. That way you don't have annoying people on your property.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I read the letter today and then tossed it. Can you imagine what that cost to mail to all of us, when I think 99.9% of the country KNEW it was coming. What I don't understand is, why are they hiring a bunch of people "to do" the census? And then mailing them out . . .just not clear on that!!! I will fill it out, but I am not going to offer anymore info other than how many lives in our home and ages. That is enough to determine how many politicians we need. Not that they do anything for us anyway. . .

I accept the census, but I take offense, as others here have, at that innane mailing telling me in advance that it will be arriving...that IN ADDITION to the media ads saying the same %#^%$ thing. Come on, we know this is done every ten years, we know why it is done, we send ours in like good citizens, but stop the media and mailing blitz. Obviously, the blitz is offensive to the population which even bothers to read it or listen to the ads on tv. ~G

The census is critical to any small town that has experienced a population explosion since the last census was taken.

State and Federal financial support checks (roads and schools) are driven by population.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Quote:
same here
Also, all of those stupid ads on TV about the census. I guess they are creating jobs. . .
roll.png

Quote:
We think so much alike Katy. I thought the same exact thing when I got our letter telling us that we'd be getting the census.
Hello, I think I could have waited to see the actual census. I'm not so excited to get it that I needed a preview.
roll.png

the last time we had a census, I filled it out and corrected the address, they came to my house and made me fill out another one - so imy household got counted twice even though I insisted I already filled it out and they had the wrong address (thanks to 911 upgrade)

Back
Top Bottom