Small sebright chick from TLC not growing

Hollandfound

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Hello all, I got some checks from TSC on 6 April. I got two Sebrights. One is a little under half the size of the other and is not growing. The other is growing and feathering in and all that. What is up with a little Sebright? Will she live? Anything in particular I need to do other than to keep her from being stepped on all the time.

Last edited:
Keep her safe by possibly separating within same brooder, and feed her some Boiled egg yolk, as well as some of the egg-white. The yolk has more nutrition that may get lil chickie on the road to recovery and regular growth. I have no suggestions on any additives into water. No experience with those. Sometimes those additives are not helpful, and may be detrimental.:idunno I suggest clean water as best. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

Not sure how your heat source is in your brooder. Usually the heat source should be at one end, or center, and have enough room inside so chics can wander away to area that is just the correct comfort for them. When they are cold, then they move closer to heat source. When too warm, they walk away. Do you have a thermometer on the floor of brooder and seeing what the desired temperature your chics are favoring???. Also keep in mind that you should be reducing that temperature by 5 degrees each week. That is an accepted value, practiced by many chick raising peeps here.

Are they both moving around, eating and drinking? I also picked up two sebrights (silver) from TSC. They were the same size the day igot them, but in the first week, one got way bigger than the other and feathered out much faster. The little one had pasty butt that I cleaned off for a few days. Have you checked for that? She is starting to catch up with the other now.

Here is a pic from last week that shows the size and development difference
20190412_131027.jpg

The smaller one is still smaller but is developing fine. I was wondering if this could be a difference between male and female. Their shot patterns in their backs is a little different as well. The bigger one has a couple of pinstripe looking lines, and the smaller one has spots.

Thanks. Been giving her some warm scrambled with regular wet chicken mash. Just worried she needs temp higher than other chicks hollers.
That may well be the case, our Jersey Giant had been eating less than the others and growing slowly until we lowered the heat lamp. She seemed to be the only one bothered out of 21 chicks, but doing that seemed to have helped and she's been eating more regularly now.

97FEE03A-A46F-458F-AAFE-DDF3019B4BC9.jpeg
7DE52669-D371-476B-BCCF-E0968B595171.jpeg
I’ve noticed that she hollers for heat when the others are comfy. Yes she did have pasty but I had to clean her twice a day and of course someone pecked her butt. I used the blue stuff on her and peck no more for a few days, now that’s better at least. Here are my two side by side.

Back
Top Bottom