SMALL Silkies

Quote:
What Silkies have you been looking at?! :hmm
Silkies around here are about the size of a 20 some week old Red Sex Link! maybe a hair smaller!
What she wants to achieve is a Serama sized Silkie which I think would be nice to have!

Okay so I'm not the only who thinks they're pretty... big. But yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do is get them down to a B/C size Serama.

Quote:
Definitely looking forward to seeing them
smile.png

Quote:
Silkies around here are about the size of a 20 some week old Red Sex Link! maybe a hair smaller!
What she wants to achieve is a Serama sized Silkie which I think would be nice to have!

I've been looking and comparing my silkies, and every other chicken out there to large birds, I guess. I can't say that my silkies aren't any bigger than my Cornish bantams. About the only birds that I can think of smaller than a silkie (other than ones already mentioned), are sebrights.... but in all reality, when you say there is 10 breeds smaller than a silkie-- there is a thousand larger... which goes back to what I originally stated-- you can't get much smaller than a silkie.

I have a 3 year old buff hen who is a dwarf. She has tiny little legs and waddles when she walks. Gets along great with the other silkies. She only laid about 3 eggs when she was 11 months and that was it. She'll stay here until she dies. Just be aware that if there really tiny, they may not lay.

Good Luck with your search.

Last edited:
Quote:

I've been looking and comparing my silkies, and every other chicken out there to large birds, I guess. I can't say that my silkies aren't any bigger than my Cornish bantams. About the only birds that I can think of smaller than a silkie (other than ones already mentioned), are sebrights.... but in all reality, when you say there is 10 breeds smaller than a silkie-- there is a thousand larger... which goes back to what I originally stated-- you can't get much smaller than a silkie.

roll.png

You are right, I am wrong! I am sooo sorry I will never cross you again
bow.gif

but your also taking the Large fowl birds into that theory when you should only be looking at the Bantam portion of the chicken breeds. since we are talking about Bantams, all of the Silkies I have seen were larger then my OEGB roo and my d'Uccles. Even the 13 week old White Silkie I gave wmsmith09 was larger then my 20+ week old d'Uccle roo! so if you only take in the bantam portion of the spectrum, Silkies are probably one of the largest Bantams.

I, too, have what I call a "dwarf" silkie.....she's absolutely gorgeous, type wise; but has stayed about 1/2 the size of all of the other silkies. She too has layed about a dozen eggs and then stopped.....hoping she'll start up again in the Spring.

Quote:
Thank you, and I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Quote:

I had two mini Splashes. They laid very poorly and none of their eggs were fertile. All the dwarf birds I've had were unhealthy. You may want to consider cross breeding and then culling heavily. Neat project and I hope you keep us posted as to it's progress!

Bummer... If you were closer, I would have had the perfect trio for you. I have 2 girls that are 1.5 pounds, and then a roo that was 2 pounds. The roo just went to a new home last night. They are vicious little things tho. They think they are full sized and rule the roost! So funny. They are in with birds the are 5to 7 pounds too!

Quote:

I had two mini Splashes. They laid very poorly and none of their eggs were fertile. All the dwarf birds I've had were unhealthy. You may want to consider cross breeding and then culling heavily. Neat project and I hope you keep us posted as to it's progress!

That's kind of what I planned on doing, because I don't want to cause any problems in the breed. So it'll probably be a gradual process. But I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

Back
Top Bottom