SMALL Silkies

wmsmith09

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
If anyone has any unusually small silkies hatch out that you don't want to keep let me know. Trying to a Miniature Silkie project which would help if I could find some small ones to begin with. Already found one small splash pullet and would like to find more. Males or females would nice. Thank you!

Quote:
You might want to start with pure dutch silkies. They are really small.... I have one that I thought was very young yet she was laying. I do have one tiny grey cockerel if you want. I can't guarantee he'll stay small though.

why would you want to get them smaller? They're already some of the smallest chickens known to mankind.

Quote:
I live in a town house and don't have a large enough yard, which is why I started with Seramas (and of course temperment) I just thought it would be nice for other people who enjoy silkies but don't have a large yard.

Quote:
You might want to start with pure dutch silkies. They are really small.... I have one that I thought was very young yet she was laying. I do have one tiny grey cockerel if you want. I can't guarantee he'll stay small though.

Thank you! I'll have to check them out, I've never seen one before. If you still have that Cockerel at the end of the month (only get paid once a month) I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
smile.png

Quote:

Thank you! I'll have to check them out, I've never seen one before. If you still have that Cockerel at the end of the month (only get paid once a month) I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
smile.png

Oh and what is a Dutch Silkie? Do you have any pictures? I've never heard of them before and I can't find them on google.

Quote:
I live in a town house and don't have a large enough yard, which is why I started with Seramas (and of course temperment) I just thought it would be nice for other people who enjoy silkies but don't have a large yard.

personally, our silkies are far to dumb to room a yard... they'd find a way to die- heck ours try to die in the pen... we have 4, and they never leave a 8'x2' pen. I did have them each in a 2x2 pen- which was plenty of space. I switched pens to give them some more room, now that it's getting close to breeding season and egg hatching.

Quote:

personally, our silkies are far to dumb to room a yard... they'd find a way to die- heck ours try to die in the pen... we have 4, and they never leave a 8'x2' pen. I did have them each in a 2x2 pen- which was plenty of space. I switched pens to give them some more room, now that it's getting close to breeding season and egg hatching.

Well that's good to know...sort of.. I don't want them to die though.

Silkies are definitely not some of the smallest bantams around. Most are approaching standard size. Tons of breeders and silkie owners free range their flock or in their yards. As long as it isn raining, they can stay outside. Maybe your silkies are extra sensitive or something? There not all like that at all.... I have a few Dutch silkie pics. I'll have to go look.

Quote:
What Silkies have you been looking at?! :hmm
Silkies around here are about the size of a 20 some week old Red Sex Link! maybe a hair smaller!
What she wants to achieve is a Serama sized Silkie which I think would be nice to have!

Back
Top Bottom