Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Which other behaviors would you include, ideally? Tidbitting, dancing, herding, preening, soilbathing...?
All of them :D but each one a seperate video. A series each topic a seperate video.

You could keep the title very simple, for example, This Is A Video Of A Rooster Doing The Herding Shuffle.
Next Video, This Is A Video Of A Hen Acting Broody,
and so on.

I have a set of stills of a hen laying an egg showing the egg leaving the vent. Not many people see this or see the squat the hen does when laying.
This would make yet another good video.

Which other behaviors would you include, ideally? Tidbitting, dancing, herding, preening, soilbathing...?

I've only posted phone videos to BYC but have a decent videography setup. With patience and a little elbow grease, I could produce shorts that are much easier on the eyes than what comes off the phone.

Such as?
Day after day people post asking if their hen is broody, or sick, or is my rooster being aggressive etc etc. Sometimes the OP gets a completely wrong answer and other times a verbal description. A set of short articles, by that I mean the video and and a few sentances of explanation should prove invaluable, one just links to the article when answering.

Damp and dismal. On and off light rain and low grey cloud cover was enough to persuade all them to retire an hour early than usual. Fret came out for fifteen minutes, ate, dumped a large smelly poop, drank, jumped into the air flapping her wings screaching and scuttled off back to her nest. Not a lot wrong with her methinks.
Mow was last in and spent most time out foraging.
P4300675.JPG
P4300676.JPG
P4300677.JPG

With a pop out box, the wind can hit more surface area causing it to lose heat faster, where as if the box is on the ground, there is insulation from the earth. It is kind of the same concept that leads to the warning signs that bridges may freeze before the road.
so would insulating the sides as well be a good idea? does a cold wind passing the bottom draw off more heat than a cold wind hitting the side chills it?

so would insulating the sides as well be a good idea? does a cold wind passing the bottom draw off more heat than a cold wind hitting the side chills it?
The eggs rarely touch the sides of the nest box. The hen sitting on them and the depth of the nest bedding provides insulation at the sides. It is quite common for the eggs to touch the base of a nest though.

Back
Top Bottom