Small windows...where to buy

Try craigslist, I got my window for free. I had to make a track for it to slide on. You could also make some small framed windows out of plexi glass and they could just be removeable.

I actually have tried Craigslist, and I'm awaiting responses from a couple of people.

I'll probabaly go with eBay, as those are some nice looking windows, and the sizes are perfect. They're a little pricey for a coop, but that's ok. My coop is attached to the back of my shed, which I put a lot of TLC in making it look nice, so I want the coop to compliment it. I figure about $60 - $70 isn't too bad.

There is a company on line called Ready shed that sells small
sized windows. I actually was gonna order from them but my husband ended up cutting thru the side of the shed then fitting it with trim and reattaching the wood on a hinge with quarter inch hardware cloth in between. Kinda of like a small door about 4 ft off the ground that serves as an extra window for cross ventilation as the shed we converted already had one window on the opposite side. It worked out great. Wish I had a picture to post to show you. That's on my list of things to do this weekend. Take some final pictures of our project to post here on BYC.
cool.png

If you have the basic skills and tools to build your own coop you should really try and build the windows. The glass can be very cheep if you know were to look. Here in middle Tennessee on nearly every country road are junk dealers locally called flea markets or antique shops. Many of them have piles of used windows which I've bought for 5 to 15 dollars each. I recently bought a window for $10 with 9, 8 X 7 panes of glass, which went into 6 matching picture frames I built.

Give it a try, if successful, bigger bragging rights. If not, your out maybe $20 in glass and wood.

speckledhen mentioned my favorite place to go
droolin.gif
for anything - ReStore!
clap.gif
If they don't have what you want today, they may have it tomorrow or next week,
thumbsup.gif
since their inventory has a fast turnover.
Craigslist, as was mentioned a few times, is a good source.
Another one I didn't see mentioned was freecycle.org
old.gif
- you sign up to your local one and either watch for goodies you want, or post a request for them
ya.gif
. I got several large windows on freecycle that I used to help make a greenhouse
celebrate.gif
this spring.

I'd also check Craigslist for used windows and your local area FreeCycle (freecycle.org) - where everything posted is FREE for the taking if still available and you can make requests for anyone who might have some, but never thought to post them. Never have to pay with FC, so unless you're having it delivered - which they may have a small fee - if someone asks for money for the actual product, don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom