Small windows...where to buy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Avonlea22, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm in the process of building a coop, and I'm looking for some small (about 12" x 12") windows, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them. I've seen them on coops for sale on the web, so I know they exsist. Does anyone know where one might find small windows?

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I know I've seen 1x2ft windows at Lowes. Not sure if they have any 1x1ft, though. You can call and ask hardware stores. If none have them, they may be custom made/ordered.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Check ebay [​IMG] That's where we got ours..just searched shed windows and there were plenty of sizes to choose from! Good luck [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check for a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They have all sorts of windows from time to time. And builders surplus places, also, as well as flea markets. Have bought windows from all those places.

5. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Are you somewhat forgiving on the size? Home depot has windows 16" x 8" for $25. They are called vent windows and come with screens.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've seen 24" windows (that's what we had in our shed and are now using in the coop) but not 12". You can make any size of window with a plexiglass panel, though.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not sure what you want the window to do? It is not that hard to make a window, but we would need to know what you intend it to do to discuss how. Is it just for light, light and permanent ventilation, or light and seasonal ventilation? f you make it, you can make it any size you want.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I bought shed windows off Ebay. They are awesome and they have cheap matching shutters to match.

9. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone. You've given me some great ideas. I'll check eBay and my Habitat store. If they don't have what I'm looking for, then maybe I will make my own.

10. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    I read somewhere on this great forum about someone using picture frames for their windows. I bet a 1x1 picture frame will be a lot easier to find than a 1x1 window. [​IMG] Best of luck on your search!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by