small worms in the fresh chicken poop. Ick!

todfeathers

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Hi I am new to BYC but I read it often. I just started keeping chickens for laying in the past year. About a week or 10 days ago I noticed round worms and small worms in the poop. I treated with wazine first and then after a few days I gave each bird about a pea sized ration of safeguard paste 10% fenbendazole as I have read about on here and other sites. I repeated the safeguard again about 3 days later and I still see little worms in the poop. No more roundworms thankfully. Could it be small tapeworms. I have read everything I can find but not sure how to proceed. We live in sacramento ca. I will upload a pic or two if I can figure it out. I am tech challenged and appreciate any advice from someone who is familiar with this parasite. I would like to remove these things from my girls and roosters. I have 10 1 year olds or older and 12 that are 3 1/2 months and see signs in at least some of the younger birds also. Perhaps I can help another in the future but I am stuck here. Thanks everyone. One pic is from internet, the other is mine from today. Thanks, Todfeathers
Click pictures to enlarge.

Last edited:
can you enlarge the pictures? re upload them to the forum and under the browse re size them to the largest size 640x480 and I think we can see the worms.

Does look like tapeworms to me. If you can see that many must be a heavy load.

I'd say yuck, but today I bought tapeworm meds for my cats. So I'm used to them.

Imp

ETA- Click on the pix to enlarge in living color.

Last edited:
Yikes! I definitely see them. I am not sure what to suggest. You have done the things that I would think would work. I'll be subscribing to see what suggestions people come up with.

You must use Valbazen. You can purchase it online from jeffers livestock. It will kill tapeworms, roundworms and a host of other worms. Dosage is as follows: One half cc (one half ml) given to standard size chickens. One quarter cc (one quarter ml) for small chickens. I recommend putting it on a small piece of bread (it's liquid) and giving each piece of bread to each chicken one at a time.

Thank you for your help everyone. I see they have valbazen for sheep 11.36% at the feed store here, but it is 500 ml and $46.00.

Tapeworms. Albendazole will treat this, but yes- it tends to come in large bottles only. Not so bad when you realize that they get these from eating insects- and will get them back again.... and you will need to treat them periodically. Off label in laying hens, as are most or all of the things we use to treat them...

Put cayenne pepper in there feed and apple cider vineger in there water.
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I just saw your post with this problem and I also live in Sacramento…. what did you use to get rid of the worms? I have the same type. Yuck!

Back
Top Bottom