small yard pond

thomassio

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Ok, I have a question. Its about duck ponds. I live in a suburban home. My garden is not big enough for a huge pond so I currently use a kiddy pool and dump it. It works fine but I would like something more natural and nice to look at. Im happy to spend time and effort making something and investing money in a pump etc. My question is 'is it possible? ' I have 6 runners so theres a fair bit of mess. Could a natural bog filter combined with a pump and filter designed for a much bigger pond ever work? I have read the duckponics thread and its brilliant but im still not clear on the answer!

Thanks everyone for reading

Thom.

It sounds like it's possible, but you'll have to invest some time/energy in maintaining it. I'm sure as heck going to try with mine, however only time will tell if I can make filtration a viable option.

Worst case scenario is you could get an attractive pond setup going, then every few days use a sump pump to drain some of the goo from the bottom out before refilling.

This is the pond I built my original 3 ducks.
It now is used by 5 ducks, 2 dogs as a drinking bowl and 3 chickens as a drinking bowl.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496237/building-a-pond-step-by-step-mostly-complete-post71

I drain it a couple times a year, clean, drain and clean the filter box and then refill.
If I were to do it again, I'd go with the original plan of putting a drain in the filter box as well.
The water is disgusting, but nobody cares. I do skim it for leaves and poop, but still vile. I'd freak out if I fell into it LOL

But, when I just used a large kiddie pool (with slide), the ducks would avoid it after 3 days because it was gross. The filter and moving water of their current pond makes a difference to them. It doesn't smell, so I'm good. The less I have to dump and refill 1000 gallons, the better for my water bill!

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for! Great, comprehensive thread and all steps included. Thank you. I think I will try something similar but I might try and also filter the water through a live bog type filter with plants as well. Obviously that area will be seperate and fenced off from the girls! If and when I do, I will be sure to add a thread on here. I'm always open to more suggestions and ideas though so keep them coming!

Haha! There is a series of videos on YouTube by someone called ponddigger, I think they are titled 'patio pond with live bog filter' or something very similar. Really good videos, and whilst not enough to clean a duck pond alone, I'm hoping with a decent filter, a larger scale and allowing the ducks limited access, maybe it can work. Maybe!

Back
Top Bottom