Small yellow worms/maggots in stool?? *PIC* HELP!

How come you deworm once a month ??
Our soil is warm, moist or wet most of the year, worm soup; large roundworms, capillary worms and cecal worms mostly, and it's hot and humid most of the year as well. I rotate wormers as well.
I've dealt with tapeworms quite a bit. I've never seen yellow in color tapeworm segments in feces.

Our soil is warm, moist or wet most of the year...worm soup, and it's hot and humid most of the year. I rotate wormers as well.
I've dealt with tapeworms quite a bit. I've never seen yellow in color tapeworm segments in feces.
I know I can’t find anything on internet about those orange/yellow wormy things. I took a sample for a fecal float, first one they said hairworms, I did another one 3 days later and they said they couldn’t find anything. I’ve never been so confused ahah. I wanted to do another one on Saturday but I gave them working tablet this morning so I don’t think it’s worth doing one on Saturday

The yellow segments are certainly not hairworms lol. But it's very possible your hen has them also.
Did you take a poop sample with the yellow segments to the vet to be looked at?
I can’t remember. I think I tried to find one but I couldn’t. It usually only appears later in the day. When I clean the coop in the morning I generally can’t see them and when I do my poo hunt when I get back from work they are present in the poops.
I often find this in the same hens poop, could it be related? (See photo)
This hen is a mystery I swear ahah

Attachments

• 0A73E309-DBA0-41AF-9715-C9924EA051A7.jpeg
    0A73E309-DBA0-41AF-9715-C9924EA051A7.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 21
I can’t remember. I think I tried to find one but I couldn’t. It usually only appears later in the day. When I clean the coop in the morning I generally can’t see them and when I do my poo hunt when I get back from work they are present in the poops.
I often find this in the same hens poop, could it be related? (See photo)
This hen is a mystery I swear ahah
It looks like calcium deposits. Probably nothing to do with the worms as it’s hard and when I squash it between my fingers it doesn’t break. I showed a photo to the vet he said it might be fungus

So you’re pretty much saying they will never get rid of those worms....? In that case wouldn’t it be easier to cull the affected ones ? (Even though I would never kill any of my girls )
It is my belief that some individuals will be more susceptible to worms than others but I was certainly not suggesting you cull them..... my suggestion was to try treating your land with agricultural lime as well as worming them. If those are tape worm proglottids which they appear to be, then they are full of tapeworm eggs and are dispersing onto your pasture as you can see in the photo where they are travelling onto and up the blades of grass in order to be eaten by a third party. The eggs will then be released and shed back onto the land and the risk of re-infestation of your chickens is therefore quite high once the wormer you are using has gone through their system. It might be a good idea to pen them for a period of time somewhere that poop is more easily cleaned up or conditions are less favourable for the life cycle of the tapeworm to be completed.

I wonder if @Sue Gremlin would be available to give advice/opinion as she is a student of parasitology.

The other thing you posted a photo of is not close enough to make much out. Are you saying that it is not a piece of dried poop with red nodules on it? I was thinking they may just be insect eggs that have been laid on it after the bird has pooped, rather than something that has come out of a hen with those already on it.

The other thing you posted a photo of is not close enough to make much out. Are you saying that it is not a piece of dried poop with red nodules on it? I was thinking they may just be insect eggs that have been laid on it after the bird has pooped, rather than something that has come out of a hen with those already on it.

Is this what you meant : https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-5kg-natural-garden-lime_p2983311
If so I’ll get some on the weekend and do I just sprinkle it everywhere in my backyard?! Can I let the chicken free range afterwards?
I’ll keep worming and usimg lime until no sign of yellow worms. I gave them worming tablets yesterday morning and last night when I did my poo hunt I couldn’t find any worms in their poop.
Also see attached, I just saw my hen pooped and I took a photo of it straight away. Those little balls were already in the poop. I squashed it between my fingers and they’re really hard, can’t break them it’s like calcium or rock solid.

Attachments

• 7CD466FB-0A6E-4CFF-8AAF-82080E341D72.jpeg
    7CD466FB-0A6E-4CFF-8AAF-82080E341D72.jpeg
    742.4 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom