smaller eggs

zippitydooda

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Ottawa, Ohio
I have 5 barred rocks, 5 black australorps and 5 buff orpingtons who are around 18 months old. They have been laying consistently since November 2010. Their eggs have all been close to the same size since then, except for the last week. They are SMALLER. Hmmmm.

The only thing that has been different is the weather. It has been really hot and humid. I've made sure they have plenty of water, good ventilation of the coop, access to the shaded run and lots of cold fruit and veggies. They get out to free range every evening for a few hours, and have access to plenty of food (crumbles & BOSS).

While their production has slowed down from time to time, I've never seen smaller eggs..... any ideas?
idunno.gif

zippity===

Same thing with me. My star performer has gone from Jumbo and Extra Large down to large size and occasionally extra large now. I weigh each egg, just because I got this way cool egg scale and it is a habit.

In the heat, they eat less, and thus there is less energy to make eggs. (I'm amazed in this heat that they are still laying and my BPRs have gone from daily egg to about every-other-day. )

Chalk it up to the heat. When temperatures are more moderate---they will probably resume their normal size.

That makes sense... thanks for the reply!

I just worried that somehow I was neglecting my little darlings! LOL! I know I spoil mine because I went to a co-worker's home to check out the coop for he had for his hens. He was complaining they weren't laying well. Hhe had 35 hens in a coop half the size of mine (I have 15). No nest boxes and only one roost. He had one small feeder (the kind you use when they are little) and the water he was providing was not only dirty, it was slimy with what looked to be algae. UGH. No wonder his chickens weren't laying.

I suggested that he give them more room, provide a few nest boxes, give them FRESH water at least twice a day and a much bigger container of food. He said his dad (an old farmer) told him his set up was just fine, and never did change anything. Last I heard he butchered them all and stuck them in the freezer. Poor hens never had a chance.
barnie.gif

I will be glad when this heat breaks.... it has taken it's toll on the garden too.

Quote:
y'know, sometimes it amazes me that the chickens did so well in the days of the old timers. chickens are pretty amazing animals. Conversly, it is so great that people like you really take care of the chickens, and that chickens have been elevated to the status of 'pets'. What you said about your friend really enforces that well cared for chickens are better performers!

Likewise, I will be very glad when the heat has moved away. Garden...nada. Maybe someday we will get a break in our drought.

Quote:
Nope not yet..... how soon should I be expecting it? Hopefully they will have their feathers back before the snow flies.... brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

D.gif

Quote:
Nope not yet..... how soon should I be expecting it? Hopefully they will have their feathers back before the snow flies.... brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

D.gif

I think the fall of when they are over a year is what I recall, which sounds like your flock's age. I'm a newb and haven't been through it yet. Just speculating.

Back
Top Bottom