Smaller Orpington has "turkey neck" look

12henslaying

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
I posted earlier about my other Orpington who I think has a sour crop. Her "sister" Orpington, Jane, might have a similar problem?

Jane has no crop at all and is kind of looking like a turkey, you know, that long skinny look? Is there some specific disease or condition I should be aware of? She is the smallest hen in the coop and she may not get a fair shot at the feeder and/or veggies we toss. However, she is 2 years old and this is a recent development. I've tried to hand-feed her but she acts disinterested. She is thriving, very active, still laying etc. I just don't want to wait until there is a problem like the other hen and have to "fix" something.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I had a young orpingtion was skinny and "turkey necked" I took a plastic fork, GAME BIRD starter, a small $1 childs cup, and water. Mix about a hand ful of starter and put it in the cup. Add spoon fulls of water untill the starter is a thick gooy dough. Take the dough and make a thin patty, place it on the fork. Open her mouth and slide the space between The prongs in her beak. release her beak letting her mouth close in the space between prong that the patty should cover. pull the fork and she will eat. Repeat.

Good luck
-Holly

Back
Top Bottom