Smell Concern??

lhayes1976

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Louisville, KY
I've been lurking BYC for a couple of weeks gathering info. I am ready to take the plunge and have some babies on order. They will be here in early February. My only concern is the location of my coop. We have a pool and the coop and run will only be about 10 feet away. If I am diligent in my cleaning, will the smell still be a problem?

Right now the plan is for a 5x6 coop with 8 hens. I would love a roo, but I'm trying to stay under the radar with my birds. Not sure how the neighbors are going to react. I'm sure I'm breaking the HOA rules, but I'm a rebel.

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

With a little diligence you should not have an odor problem. And if you smell anything it is a mild barnyard/farmy smell. Definately not obnoxious or anything like a cat or dog poop smell.

Congradulations on jumping into the world of keeping backyard chickens and the best of luck with your HOA. I'm a rule breacker as well but my HOA can go pound sand as far as I am concerned!

About the issue of smell....there shouldn't be an issue as long as you do a few things.

I use pine shavings in my coop and I sprinkle in some food grade Diamatiouse earth. That helps control the smell plus it helps with controling the flies, mites, fleas, and such. I know a lot of people here also use poop boards. The poop gathers on the board and then they are able to scrape it up and discard it. that will eliminate a big percentage of the poop in your coop. Also just keep the bedding turned.

You have come to a good place to get information and learn about chickens and keeping them. There are many knowledgable folks here.

Good luck and have fun!

If you keep your coop reasonably clean, there should be minimal odor. I keep 4 inches of pine shavings in mine and change every 6 weeks or so depending on poop level. I cleaned it today and even with lots of poo there was very little odor. They have been locked in for 3 weeks due to anti-globull warming and single digit temps and had no odor problem, but the poo got deep. I have 22 chickens in a 8 x 12 coop.

If you let a lot of poo build up with moisture, you could have an odor problem and amonia smell. The Amonia is not healthy for the birds and results from the hig nitrogen in chicken poo.

You may find stall products and/or food-grade DE helpful in controlling odor and it's easier to control if you spot-clean rather than use the deep-litter method. Check your zoning for placing that coop so close to a pool, just in case. The run is more likely to be a source of problems (runoff) than the coop itself. Can it drain away from the pool?
cool.png

Howdy neighbor! I'm just a short drive across the Sherman Minton in Floyds Knobs! I have five chickens, clean droppings and soiled bedding daily, and there is zero smell associated w/my coop. Poop is poop is poop. If a dog feels up a yard with it, the yard's gonna stink (of course the size of the yard will determine how long it takes to fill it up and start stinking badly). But if the poop is cleaned up daily, no big deal. I would strongly suggest dropping boards, as they make clean up TONS easier! Take a look at how I did my dropping boards on my BYC page!

welcome-byc.gif

There won't be a problem with runoff. The pool is on higher ground. I;m not the worried about the chickens, but DH can come up with every negative there is. I guess that' s a good thing, because sometimes I tend to leap before I look. He[s also is worried they will be too noisy that close to the pool. I know they make noise, but a few clucks won't bother me.

Hi teach1rusl,
I hail from PRP, right in your backyard. I love your coop design. I actually saved a setup of your inside design. My babies are coming 2/4/10. I can hardly wait. I'm trying to get DH going on the coop. I'm going with the cottage look. I'm hoping I can fool the neighbors into thinking it's a playhouse for the grandkids.

Back
Top Bottom