Smell problem

Newseramabreeder

Chirping
Nov 6, 2021
Ok so I have seven Serema’s 3 pairs in dog cages and the smell gets horrible and I was wondering if there was a easier way the cage is a pain to clean out 2 days after I clean the cage it smells horrible

Attachments

• 8A20FB35-4A09-44C2-91BF-68998DA75B14.png
    8A20FB35-4A09-44C2-91BF-68998DA75B14.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 3C85717F-02CF-4303-981A-FC1DA1917A76.png
    3C85717F-02CF-4303-981A-FC1DA1917A76.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
You Put thngs in them to help odor control. I use marigolds, fresh mint, any other herb that is fragrant. My coop smells like cinnamon right now. I only use things my girls can eat if they choose to.
https://joybileefarm.com/herbs-for-chickens/
This like talks about herbs and disinfectant.
I am assuming you have a few ill. chickens or broody hens to keep them in cages like that for a very short time.
If not you are doing things that in the long run can hurt them.

If youre gunna keep them in a dog kennel like that Id build a frame for it with 2x4 and 2x2s and make a floor for them out of 1/2" x 1" welded wire, this way theyll be off the ground and you can keep hay or something underneath to make cleaning easier. Id also have a fan on low blowing fresh air around to keep ammonia from hanging out around them 🤟 look into buying a 12pack of quart waters/feeders for cages I hangthem on the bars of cage around neck level, they wont waste as much and make a mess like theyre doing in the kennel.

Chickens, even tiny bantams, are not intended to live in tiny cages. :(

They need roomy, airy housing with access to the outdoors -- just like any other chicken.

It's no different than having a Chihuahua or another miniature dog breed. They're still DOGS and need space, exercise, and fresh air. People don't keep them locked in little closets.

The usual rule is that bantams need about half what a standard-size bird needs so each pair would need 4 square feet in the coop PLUS 10 square feet in the run.

New Serama Breeder, while I applaud your willingness to jump in over your head and try not to drown, your handle and your facilities, assuming they are indicative of your intent (breeding Seramas) suggests you are already down the road that gives "puppy mills" such a bad name.

Whomever gave you this advice:
there meant for small cages
was full of "IT". Like your cages. Their advice (like your cages) stinks.

Time to re-evaluate. You need MUCH more space.

Or, you can disregard the advice of those who know better, by research and experience both. In which case, no point in asking a question here - since you've already satisfied yourself with your current "answer".

Last edited:
To quote another member
General advice to all.
First read about new pets you buy before getting them. And read a lot of articles if you like to let you’re hens hatch. Because if you keep chickens caged , this is not a natural setting and you need to provide the right circumstances
I do hope all works out the best for and your flock. Keep reading on how to make their and your life better. Please, ask as many questions as you want. I know many here will offer loads of help, advice and encouragement.

The size of the coop is important but there is a lot more to consider. I prefer a wooden coop with a roost and lots of ventilation. This certainly better than a wireframe cage for the nightly hours. During the day they need space to walk around and scratch. Take a sand bath …

Chickens that are kept in a poor situation often get stressed and sick. I do hope to you see you again here, to help and give more advice for happy chickens.

Yes, please give us some more information and pictures of you’re setup , the bedding, ventilation, you’re climate and the feed you give you’re Serama’s.

Back
Top Bottom