Smelled something rotten... He made it! Quail Hatching!

Quote:
I agree about helping. I did it with one of my last hatches and it didn't work out well. In the future I won't be helping at all. -- I wouldn't have touched the quail eggs but the stench of the rotten ones was unbelievable. I didn't want them exploding.

Interesting finding: I checked the unhatched eggs to see where they quit when all was said and done. I learned something interesting that I think holds true for chickens too. Some of the quitters had gotten to where they were fully fluffed out, but their fluff was white and the yolk unabsorbed. I believe the reason chicks are yellow at hatch is due to the yolk. When they absorb it, it sort of stains their fluff. Much like how flamingos are really white birds unless they are able to add shrimp to their diet. The shrimp turns them pink.

They're so tiny! To move them to the brooder I was picking up handfuls of them! I have a 3 week old Serama in the brooder and the quail keep tucking under her and peeping out her wings. So far she's been really tolerant
smile.png

Awwww.
smile.png
That would make for mighty cute pictures!

I had 2 little A&Ms drown in the water after I moved them to the brooder
hit.gif
It was the quail waterer, too, so I didn't think they'd have a problem! I didn't have any marbles that fit in it, so I tried the cotton batting that monarc23 reccommends, but they would pull it out and it wicked water in the bedding and flooded the brooder.
somad.gif
Nitwits!

I candled my remaining eggs and have 2 left that have hatching potential - one is pipped the other not. I really want them to hurry up because it's day 18 for my Welsummers, Marans and oegb and I wanted to clean the hatcher before I put them in. One of the oegb has pipped already and it's still in the turner!

What are your plans for these guys? I'm replacing my Bobwhites with Coturnix for backyard meat production - I'm hoping they're less of a headache! So these are my new breeding stock.

That's a bummer about the two drowned ones. Sorry to hear about that. I started my guys off on a water bottle and so far they're drinking just fine and don't make any mess. I actually used the water bottle method for my araucanas too and they are still using theirs! That makes it super easy for clean-up and water replacement. I wish they'd make jumbo water bottles we could use with the adult chickens.

Good luck with the other hatching you've got going on!

I love my chickens for their eggs, and I want to raise the Coturnix for meat. They will be a heck of a lot easier for me to clean. I have a hard time with the chickens due to their size. Of course we will enjoy their eggs too. I've got a local lady who has already requested to be put on my waiting list to buy quail eggs for eating.​

Quote:
I found jumbo water bottles - holds 32 oz - it's sold for dogs, so it has something like a 1/2 inch tip.

Back
Top Bottom