Smelly pullets?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I have no idea where to post this. A search on here has not really given any clear answers.

I bought 4 (3-4 week old) chicks in early June. Inside, during isolation. I noticed their poop smelled different than any of my other chickens but figured it would sort out. I treated them for coccidiosis that they came with and Tylosin when I introduced them to my (MG positive) flock.

They seem healthy. Fitting in nicely with the others. Eating and growing well. I cannot see anything visually wrong health wise.

Their poop still smells really weird. And as they grow it is really getting bad inside my open air coop. I clean it completely and the very next morning it stinks like a barn. And yes, I have reduced myself down to comparing poop smells from theirs and my other girls. I have zero clue what could be causing this odd odor if they are eating and foraging the exact same as my flock for 10-ish weeks. And it’s getting worse as their poops get bigger!

I hope someone has a suggestion, or possibly a solution, for my very weird problem.

Thanks!

I have no clue why this is occurring but maybe try some probiotics.
Thank you, should I wait until after the flock finishes a Corid treatment?

I am questioning my sanity every time I smell my coop. In over 3 years chicken keeping I’ve not dealt with a barnyard smelling coop. The upper coop where the bigger girls go to lay does not smell like this and the pullets do not go up there since integration. I do realize it just does not seem logical whatsoever.

Thank you, should I wait until after the flock finishes a Corid treatment?

I am questioning my sanity every time I smell my coop. In over 3 years chicken keeping I’ve not dealt with a barnyard smelling coop. The upper coop where the bigger girls go to lay does not smell like this and the pullets do not go up there since integration. I do realize it just does not seem logical whatsoever.
I don't think probiotics would interfere with the Corid, you don,t want to use vitamin supplements with that though.

Keep us posted, this is an interesting question.
Update:
They had finished the Corid treatment and I continued the probiotics for a few days. The stink subsided and no more intestinal lining was seen.

It was time for their monthly MG treatment so I stopped the probiotics. That was finished on Sunday. All seemed well.

It’s Thursday now and the stink is coming back and I see some more intestinal lining in the pullets poop. Two poops had it.

This is really weird…….any thought? I do know it’s the pullets, I check general roosting areas every night. I’ll watch closer to specific placements of each pullet and see if I can narrow it down to one. I’ll start probiotics again and will bring another fecal sample for testing in a day or two. Seriously though, wth?

@townchicks @LaFleche

So my life literally exploded after this thread. Flew to NC to pick up my daughter, her 2 cats and 1 dog, rented a car and drive her home. My tiny house was overstuffed for the past 4.5 months. But I am starting to come out of that chaotic haze that had become my life.

Anyways, I have a funny update! The smell was coming from 3 totes of dug up hostas I forgot about. It would come and go and smell stronger by their roost because the totes were outside of but near that part of the coop. I think the weather must have been affecting it somehow. I felt so so bad for the girls🤦🏼‍♀️ so hostas were transplanted and survived and the chickens are all fine. And no more really weird smelling poops😂😂

Hope everyone is doing well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom