Smelly run

pglegjig

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2019
Heyhey... Building new digs for my 3 hens but in the meantime they will be staying in my neighbors empty coop with an attached run. . Giving it a good cleaning top to bottom side to side. Started digging up the dirt and instead it breaking up I am peeling (yes peeling) off thick poop layers due to little or no prior maintenence. It smells AWFUL! I have sand, DE, pine shavings and Sweet PDZ.
Will that be efficient ? Suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

I risk seriously dating myself here, but if you've ever seen the original Karate Kid movie, imagine yourself in the bonsai tree scene where Mrr. Miagi tells his protege' to "Close eyes. Picture tree in mind," then, "Open eyes. Make like picure."
So - close your eyes and imagine a forest floor, all the lovely detritus and soil, leaves and wood. Then open your eyes to your run floor and "Make like picture!"

I have sand, DE, pine shavings and Sweet PDZ.
Will that be efficient ? Suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
I would use none of those.

Coarse wood chippings are the best......along with other finer dry plant matter, like a bit of straw and a bit of those pine shavings.
full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/runs.7427859/

Could you suggest what kind of "finer dry plant matter"?
Try dry pine needles - you get a nice aroma and the chickens get something fun to dig through. I have a friend whose driveway is lined with massive white pines. Any time I visit, I bring home a bag of pineneedles for my run. If it's mixed with other leaves & such, all the better ... pre-started compost!

Back
Top Bottom