Smelly sand in run

I have Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run and have no more flies there than anywhere else. They are, of course, attracted to fresh poop, but don't seem to get the opportunity to multiply.

It's the trash cans that are the fly-attracting problem. :(

We live in waaaaaay-Southern Ohio where it’s like a tropical rainforest. The sand we use is locally sourced, washed, coarse grain river sand. We use it in the coop, nest boxes, on the poop decks, and in the covered run. I use a long-handled metal wok spider to clean twice a day and it doesn’t stink (at least according to the neighbors and infrequent visitors). It takes me about fifteen minutes total to clean up after seven hens and five month-old Brahma chicks. Here’s a link to the skimmer: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZXGLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple of times a year, I add a 40# bag of Sweet PDZ Stall refresher to the poop decks to replace what ends up in the compost heap. I also use a short tined rake once or twice a year to loosen up high traffic areas (in front of the people door, usually). If your run isn’t covered, I’d use a shovel to turn the sand and mix in a lot of the PDZ. It won’t hurt the Flockers to eat it and it does help with the smell, so go wild and add as much as you think is reasonable for your space. If you don’t have a covered area, you might want to consider adding a permanent roof or at least a reinforced clear tarp. We built a pvc frame to support the tarp that really stand up to the weather. Hubby built a frame then drilled holes for the pvc on each side. The result is a “half hoop” that keeps the tarp stretched tight so the water, snow, and ice slide right off.

D01CA2E4-761D-47FF-B133-32C8C4826397.jpeg

51F3EC0F-CE12-4855-B6D7-53FA10469EF6.jpeg

The stick is just holding up the fencing so I don’t smack my head into it... I’ll take some better pics today now that the plastic sheeting is down.

According to google it’s “a humid continental climate, with warm, humid summers, and cold, snowy winters.” I’d say it rains on average once a week. Amount varies - some times it’s just a quick sprinkle, other times it’s a heavy thunderstorm. The edges could become soaked with the latter. I never actually thought of us as a wet climate but I guess we are. Damn, sand was probably a poor choice then! 😳
Nah, not a poor choice. We have the same climate here - except it probably doesn’t get as cold in the winters. We get in the minus twenties C for a week or two at a time, but it’s usually not that cold for long. The key is to keep it all dry in winter. Pics of your set up would be helpful, but like I said above, if you can’t add a permanent metal or shingle roof, build the frame for the tarp and wrap the walls with plastic sheeting.
F9032AEE-3D40-44B7-BC56-9F4DCC5DC820.jpeg

35CE3854-C583-4B05-94E1-CE44BF64F56B.jpeg

Your location makes a difference. I considered sand when I started but one of our informative Members reminded me of the wetness/humidity here. Hence went with a modified DLM ... Shavings on the ground (4" deep) and it's been working great. I just keep adding as I goes down & removing when I need mulch maybe once a year. I do sprinkle PDZ and DE monthly, my girls are confined (8x12x7), ferment their Flock Raiser and all's perfect. Take that back, hurricane season is miserable.
what is DLM?

what is DLM?

Welcome to BYC.

DLM = Deep Litter Method.

This article is about Deep Bedding, but includes the definitions because the terms are often confused.

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.

Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

Back
Top Bottom