Smilies icon

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by bigzio, Nov 10, 2007.

1. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If I click on a smilies icon and it comes up spelled instead of displayed, what's up?

bigzio

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You must have a space on either side of it for it to show the picture.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Do you mean when you are typing a message? and you click on a smiley on the right? That is just the way it is named in the whatever halls of smileydom that I don't even start to understand. When you hit the submit button to publish your post, it magically changes into the icon.
    But you do need a space on either side for the hall of smileydom to understand it is one of the smileys in the hall.

NIFTY, can you translate what I jsut tried to explain??? [​IMG]

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Smiley codes like
    :

:barnie

are parsed by the forum and converted into a smiley automatically. You don't need to even click on an icon to have the code posted in your post, you cans simply type out the code by doing something like
    :

:)

Now, if you have smilies too close to other text it can sometimes confuse the forum parser so to be on the safe side always have a space on either side of your smiley code.

There is an option to "never show smilies as icons for this post" and I honestly have no idea what that does. [​IMG]

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    smileys across the top do not require a space between, however ones to the right do
    no space:
    [​IMG]:|[​IMG][​IMG]:eek:[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]:he:he:he
    with space
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  6. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you for "showing" me the difference! Alot of times, "telling" me just won't click inside my head!

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for help, sounds like I simply need to give the icon room to breathe. Why would a country boy like me not know enough to give my icon some space?
    This is a good lesson learned... Thank-You!

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by