Smoked chicken...

inezbouley

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Florida
*Kills husband for laughing at the title.*

In all seriousness now...

This morning my sister opened up our coop and was distressed to see smoke pouring out. (Not a lot, could see through to the back of the coop).

We have ventilation in the coop, but it is a small 4' X 4' x 4' coop. with 2' extention side boxes.

Last night, it was very cold and we turned on our heat lamp like we always do when it is cold.

Well, sometime this morning/last night (I truly think it was this morning), the lamp was knocked down and landed face first into the shavings.

The laminate floor and lampshade are the only things, I think, protected the whole coop from igniting. The effect we saw was more like charcoal. Not enough O2 got into the lampshade to cause the flames to get bigger than glowing embers.

My concern is smoke inhalation. After examining each of the girls, I could see no visible issues, no one is sneezing or coughing, and their respirations seemed normal and not laboured.

What other signs should I look for and how should I treat them?

Ella

They will be find. You were very lucky.If they are feathered out chickens don't need any added heat. My chickens are inside but it very seldom this month got above freezing. My 3 Isa Browns layed 3 eggs everyday in Jan. Get rid of the lamps.

Treat them as very lucky birds. They should be ok since all signs were normal from the start.

Since you probably can't train them to use a fire extinguisher, make sure any lights in the coop have back-up supports. I anchor the cord from my low-wattage light at the ceiling as well as the chain that holds the light up.

The chicken gods were watching over your birds.

Wayne

(edited to add: Just noticed you are in Florida. My Maine birds get no supplemental heat. Can't imagine why you are heating your coop in Florida. I know temps can get down below freezing. Your birds can withstand it.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I feel better hearing this from someone in Michigan. I'm a first-timer, and I was concerned that the 30 degree temps we've been having were too cold. But you made me feel way better!

*Gets rid of lamps*

big_smile.png

This is a good reminder for anyone using heat lamps to not rely on the lamp's clamp to keep it hanging up. Wire it in place ir hang from a secure hook.

As a retired firefighter I can speak from experience. If your birds were suffering from smoke inhalation you would know it by now. Hopefully, you now know that any device that generates heats must be secured in such manner as to prevent it from being knock over or falling. Adequate space as be the manufactures recommendations must be maintained at all times.

Thank you, yes, I was foolish in thinking that I could rely on just a clamp.

You all have helped me out in remembering the simple saftey precautions we all may have taken for granted now and then.

Thank you again for all your advice! I love BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom