Smoked turkey breast

Chieftain

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
I have a couple of turkey breasts on the smoker this morning for a "do" for the four owners of our Pug family. I love smoking anything, and turkey is a big hit at our house. I smoke a couple of breasts for Thanksgiving ever year in addition to the oven roasted bird, and there are usually few leftovers.

smoker003.jpg

I use a variety of materials in my smoker as the mood suits. I always start with regular briquettes, and use that to start mesquite charcoal. Once that's going, I usually throw in some hazelnut (or filbert) shells for smoke. Today I am using a piece of pecan that someone gave me ten years ago. It's nice and dry and has a really nice sweet smoke.

smoker004.jpg

My technique is simple. I take the defrosted breast, and carefully peel the skin back, leaving it attached to the keel. Then I "lard" it with strips of bacon, and in this case, some ham fat I trimmed a while ago and froze. Once the fat is in place I carefully stretch the skin back over it, secure it with a couple of toothpicks and into the smoker as soon as it hits 150 degrees. I let it climb to about 200-225 and keep it there until they birds test done by internal temperature.

smoker005.jpg

The bacon fat melts out, drenches the meat and carries the smoke flavor deep into the meat. The pieces of bacon rind that are left are a real favorite for the dog, although in small quantities.

I will pull these around 3-4 this afternoon, let them cool and refrigerate them completely, and slice them right before service for sandwiches. Once these cool you can make nice thin deli slices with a good slicing knife. My wife serves this on croissants that the local Winco bakes daily. A piece of good cheese, some lettuce and whatever your favorite condiment is, and you have a nice sandwich for a luncheon like we are planning.

I'll snap a pic of those breasts when they are done...

wink.png

Thats AMAZING !!! I'm jealous ..I think I'm going out today to pick up some turkey breast...I put the smoker away last fall after I smoked up all my salmon.But , I'm think its time to get it going again.Maybe I'll put some chicken in there too!!! yummy...Great Job...

Thanks! Trust me, I know my way around a smoker. I was born and raised in Northeast Ohio, and attended a number of tailgate events in the parking lot of Cleveland Municipal Stadium before a Browns game. It has to be pretty nasty to keep me from firing up either the smoker or the grill, and we use the outdoor kitchen as often as possible.

BTW I also keep a bag of hickory chunks on hand for smoked pork or beefy goodness. Last year meat prices were astonishingly cheap and we ate a lot of cheap beef. I smoked a couple of briskets that we parsed out among friends and family and I have not had anyone refuse a plate of smoked brisket yet. Boneless Boston pork butts are going for a buck a pound here, and hickory smoked pulled pork with a vinegar and hot sauce is another big hit too.

wink.png

We've been getting whole chickens for 69cents a lb. here so we filled up the chest freezer with them and roast beef for 1.69 lb. so we stocked up on those.I like the roasts for making tamales and Beef Jerky...Pork has been 98 cents a lb here I got about 10lbs of that so I might get some of that smoked up.I've got the smokin' bug now... Thats cool you cook outside like that alot.I think if I had a bigger covered area I would too.The pictures are great..

Way to go TBB...we have a wholesale restaurant supply here called "Cash and Carry" and they have some incredible deals on primal cuts of meat; whole top rounds (great for jerky, stew meat, roasts, etc) and we stocked our freezer pretty cheaply too.

I pulled the turkey breasts around 3 because the internal temp was to my liking. Here's what they look like when they come in off the smoker...perfect!

roasted001.jpg

That skin protects the meat underneath, and once you peel it back you can see that all that bacon fat has melted away and kept the meat nice and moist.

roasted003.jpg

Gus was more than happy to nom on some smoked bacon goodness tonite and he got a little smoked turkey in his kibble. You could bounce a quarter off of him now...

The smoker is just great, and it really is a lot of fun when you start getting into making your own rubs for different cuts and experimenting with different smoke flavors. Any kind of poultry is great for smoke roasting like this, and the hazelnut shells are particularly good for smoking duck. The best duck is medium rare, and the smoke from the hazlenut shells seems to give it the very best flavor. In culinary school, that was the only way we prepared duck, and we smoked it right on the gas range between a couple of flat pans. As long as you have good ventilation you can get away with that, otherwise I recommend doing this outside...

I sliced some for Momma and the rest is in the refrigerator resting. We'll slice the rest of it right before service.

wink.png

Last edited:
Beautiful!!! Those look so delish---And I bet they are!!! They wouldn't last long here thats for sure.
We have Cash & Carry here too..I mostly buy flavors for my lattes.And they have good prices on fresh veggies too.I'll check out the meats next time I'm there.
Tif

Back
Top Bottom