Smooth Cuckoo x Silkie Possibilities

EarEigna

Chirping
Aug 13, 2017
Alberta, Canada
29541645_865094997024791_21566127646722816_n.jpg

I have these two. The Roo is just a run of the mill Silkie with nothing else hidden in him that I'm aware of. The pullet is a smooth Cuckoo project that ended up in with chicks I purchased by accident. She's friendly, pretty and I like her, but don't really have a place to put her in the breeding pens where I'm trying to get more Showgirls, so I'm thinking of just sticking her in with this guy and a couple other Silkie pullets. But I'm curious what the chicks may look like and would like to have some fairly good idea in case anyone gets hatching eggs.

I'm assuming the chicks could be either smooth or silkie feathered 50/50 but I'm unsure how the barring works. The chicks are all going to be sex linked? All roo's are going to be barred and all pullets will be solid.... black most likely?

I have these two. The Roo is just a run of the mill Silkie with nothing else hidden in him that I'm aware of. The pullet is a smooth Cuckoo project that ended up in with chicks I purchased by accident. She's friendly, pretty and I like her, but don't really have a place to put her in the breeding pens where I'm trying to get more Showgirls, so I'm thinking of just sticking her in with this guy and a couple other Silkie pullets. But I'm curious what the chicks may look like and would like to have some fairly good idea in case anyone gets hatching eggs.

I'm assuming the chicks could be either smooth or silkie feathered 50/50 but I'm unsure how the barring works. The chicks are all going to be sex linked? All roo's are going to be barred and all pullets will be solid.... black most likely?
They will be sexlinked, that I'm sure. He might be carrying things, I couldn't be sure of anything. Other than sex-linkage, I don't know what to expect.

You can only get silkied babies from them if she carries a copy of the silkied gene. Takes two copies to make the feathers silkied. So she could carry the gene and have smooth feathers, or she may not. Will be fun to see what you get.

You can only get silkied babies from them if she carries a copy of the silkied gene. Takes two copies to make the feathers silkied. So she could carry the gene and have smooth feathers, or she may not. Will be fun to see what you get.
The breeder I got them both from is a well known Silkie/Sizzle breeder in the area. I’m assuming the pullet is half and half and should be carrying the Silkie feather gene however if she’s farther down the breeding generations of the smooth cuckoo project I guess she could conceivably be smooth/smooth.

Guess time will tell on that for sure!

I was kind of interested in barred Silkies appearing. Thought that might be neat. But it seems if they do, chances are they’ll be roosters anyway?!

They will be sexlinked, that I'm sure. He might be carrying things, I couldn't be sure of anything. Other than sex-linkage, I don't know what to expect.
He shouldn’t be carrying anything unless it’s a hidden frizzle/Sizzle component or another colour.

The breeder said one of the black chicks was a paint as they had a white toe. Well one grew up to be this guy and one grew up to be a black Silkie pullet but I can’t find that darn white toe anymore to know who is the paint! It could be this guy and that might explain the white bleeding through on him? (I’m really even less well versed in paint colours lol)

He shouldn’t be carrying anything unless it’s a hidden frizzle/Sizzle component or another colour.

The breeder said one of the black chicks was a paint as they had a white toe. Well one grew up to be this guy and one grew up to be a black Silkie pullet but I can’t find that darn white toe anymore to know who is the paint! It could be this guy and that might explain the white bleeding through on him? (I’m really even less well versed in paint colours lol)
I thought he could be carrying something because a lot of Silkies are. :lol: there are too many colors for their own good. His color is Birchen I believe.

I thought he could be carrying something because a lot of Silkies are. :lol: there are too many colors for their own good. His color is Birchen I believe.

Kinda looks like Birchen but not quite. I have a birchen roo and the white roams thru the head, neck, chest, and fades away down the body. Leakage is usually around the neck and hackles, but in some cases it can almost have a widespread appearance of birchen.

Back
Top Bottom