1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smooth Sebastopol question? Picture

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EmAbTo48, Aug 17, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grey in front is in question. I bought him knowing she had smooth in her flock I am fine with smooth in my breeding program. BUT he is now 4 months I am new to smooth but should he have basically NO curling but more flat feathers??? Thanks!!!!

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Ok on your smooth breasted the feathering takes time to come in. As they get older each year the feathering comes in more but you get nothing on the chest it is all smooth breasted. You do Not get the feathering on the smooth breasted like you do on the curly breasted.
    These are older now and have more feathering on them.
    Hope this will help you some.
    When you have totally smooth flat feather's all over the whole goose we do not use those in the breeding program they are petted out to someone who just wants pet geese. You want curly on the chap's on the back.

I will also put a few teenage goslings for you to see the feathering they will be last.

Here are a few of my smooth breasted Sebastopol's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I love my smoothies! They will have the broader wavy feathers that are actually sturdier than the full curly birds. They tend to look nice for about 11 months of the year too:D. Be sure to pair it with a full curly come breeding season so you don't end up with any completely smooth birds.

4. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks guys! Its a boy and he is very pretty! Hes only 4 months so hoping a bit more comes of his feathers then if it takes a bit longer.. Here's one I took tonight of him!

[​IMG]

5. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    But can't be a bit bummed about that his coloring it would have looked AWESOME if he had been full curly!

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I like him a lot! Come springtine I bet you will like him even more when all the curly birds look like a lawnmower hit them.

7. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    The two grey saddlebacks are 6 months old also and you can see there is not very long feathers for now but they will come as they mature. You boy has a good start on the feathers.
    Like GF said breed him to a full curly.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by