Smooth Sebastopol question? Picture

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin

The grey in front is in question. I bought him knowing she had smooth in her flock I am fine with smooth in my breeding program. BUT he is now 4 months I am new to smooth but should he have basically NO curling but more flat feathers??? Thanks!!!!

Ok on your smooth breasted the feathering takes time to come in. As they get older each year the feathering comes in more but you get nothing on the chest it is all smooth breasted. You do Not get the feathering on the smooth breasted like you do on the curly breasted.
These are older now and have more feathering on them.
Hope this will help you some.
When you have totally smooth flat feather's all over the whole goose we do not use those in the breeding program they are petted out to someone who just wants pet geese. You want curly on the chap's on the back.

I will also put a few teenage goslings for you to see the feathering they will be last.

Here are a few of my smooth breasted Sebastopol's.

Last edited:
I love my smoothies! They will have the broader wavy feathers that are actually sturdier than the full curly birds. They tend to look nice for about 11 months of the year too:D. Be sure to pair it with a full curly come breeding season so you don't end up with any completely smooth birds.

Thanks guys! Its a boy and he is very pretty! Hes only 4 months so hoping a bit more comes of his feathers then if it takes a bit longer.. Here's one I took tonight of him!

Thanks guys! Its a boy and he is very pretty! Hes only 4 months so hoping a bit more comes of his feathers then if it takes a bit longer.. Here's one I took tonight of him!

The two grey saddlebacks are 6 months old also and you can see there is not very long feathers for now but they will come as they mature. You boy has a good start on the feathers.
Like GF said breed him to a full curly.....

Back
Top Bottom