Snack ideas!

What snacks do your chickens love?

• Total voters
I don't have chickens YET. (2 more months!) But I do have heritage turkeys. They LOVE banana the best. They also like apples, spinach, cabbage and LOVE broccoli. They won;t touch zucchini. They like the wheat in scratch but not the corn. They have NO use for the bagged "treats" with all kinds of different seeds, and dried fruit. I bought one bag. NEVER AGAIN. Waste of money for them. Since it is winter, and the grass is covered with snow, I also give them alfalfa hay They like that too.
This is great to know! I plan on getting Narragansett turkey poults, so this is some good stuff to know.

One of their special homemade treats I give them are peanut butter balls (lol, that is just what I call them.) I take oats, peanut butter, seeds, raisins, and whatever else you chickens like, and roll them into small 1 inch balls. They LOVE them!
i tried something like this for my girls for valentine’s day as a special treat, but instead shaped them in little hearts.. it was a complete fail! they didn’t care for them much at all. the only way they would peck at it was if i crushed them up and they could pick certain parts out 🙄

Our three hens just LOVE grass. Of course, they totally enjoy mealworms (too expensive) and table scraps, but all I've got to do is throw a handful of cut grass in their run, and they just are just pleased as punch. Fortunately, where we live, grass grows through most of the year, so I never run out - and it's free, like the weeds other folks are mentioning - and healthy as heck. This is not a new revelation, though:

Boy, is grass good for chickens!

Hi!
I was wondering, what are some cheap, easy snacks to feed my chickens?
What is your favorite cheap, easy snack to feed your chickens?

Hi!
I was wondering, what are some cheap, easy snacks to feed my ?
What is your favorite cheap, easy snack to feed your chickens?
The girls have individual favorites. Hard boiled & scrambled eggs & water soaked oats disappear 1st. Then the canned: sweet peas, sweet potatoes & corn. Then bananas & the shredded/chopped cabbage. I place a 12ft board in the outside run & put small amounts of each on it. I place peeled & flat slices of cucumber in large feed bowls at each end. My 11 girls will move around & eat what they like. That way even those low in the pecking order get a treat. BUT: their utmost favorite is chicken! I have to hold it & let each one have bites. Otherwise, it's all out Gladiator Battle Frenzy!!

Back
Top Bottom