Snacks

At 6 weeks old, I was still feeding my chicks Starter feed and #1 grit/sand and that is all they need. I did start offering them very small bits of kitchen scraps, but not very much at that age. They really need the high protein Chick Starter feed.

As far as other snacks for this age, I think meal worms are supposed to be high in protein and you might want to look at that. I would not offer them chicken scratch as a snack at this age because of the low protein, but I'm sure they would like a taste. Another good thing to offer them is probably a small chunk of grass with dirt from outside where you live. I hear that is good for the chicks if they are still in the brooder.

Ther
At 6 weeks old, I was still feeding my chicks Starter feed and #1 grit/sand and that is all they need. I did start offering them very small bits of kitchen scraps, but not very much at that age. They really need the high protein Chick Starter feed.

As far as other snacks for this age, I think meal worms are supposed to be high in protein and you might want to look at that. I would not offer them chicken scratch as a snack at this age because of the low protein, but I'm sure they would like a taste. Another good thing to offer them is probably a small chunk of grass with dirt from outside where you live. I hear that is good for the chicks if they are still in the brooder.
There in the coop they were tired of not having room I do feed them mealworms we don’t have grass out here in az might have to buy some lol

we don’t have grass out here in az might have to buy some lol

I live in Minnesota, and our grass is covered with snow about 5 months every winter. I am going to try growing barley fodder for my girls this winter. I posted an article on My $10 Inexpensive DIY Fodder Tower with Dollar Tree Dish Bins which I experimented with this summer. Essentially, I am planning on a way to provide fresh greens to my girls this white winter. It's easy to grow fodder and my chickens like it.

Back
Top Bottom