Snake Bite!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cmclean, Sep 26, 2011.

1. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    One of my hens was bitten by a copperhead snake yesterday. She survived!! Any ideas about getting rid of copperheads? Do moth balls really repeal snakes?

2. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i would do some research online.

3. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I have had no luck with the "snake away" powder type products or moth balls. I have seen snakes slither across the powder and lying next to the moth balls. The powder also must be frequently reapplied. I have caught MANY snakes this summer using the minnow traps discussed on this site. The only problem is disposing of the snakes once you catch them. Many people have had success using bird netting. Search these boards and you'll get a lot of ideas. Good Luck.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Snakes HATE garlic. Liquid Fence Snake Repellent is the BEST thing I have found, it covers a lot of area and is safe for every persona and animal exposed. Snakes smell that garlic smell and slither the opposite way as fast as they can! I use it around my house, as I have bunnies that run free and free ranging chickens, and the terrible snake problem I use to have has ended. When I first moved in this place was snake city!

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Bird netting tangles them up and they die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by