Snake in the coop!

Okay this snake thing is starting to worry me, I keep thinking when is my turn coming!!!!!!!!LOL I havent had the pleasure yet this year, Anyday now.

I don't do this to non poision ones, but............... Be carefull. Tis the season.
79549_004.jpg

snakes are something I hadn't even considered, but thinking back I don't know why not! At least now I'll be extra observant when I go in ours! Holy Moly, that's a big one!

That is one I never want to see in my coop! Im deathly afraid of snakes! So far I have never seen any in my yard since i've moved in over a year ago. But who knows??
That is why I build my chicken coop on stilts so It is off the ground so no creepies can get in.
tongue.png

Yesterday I went to gather eggs. When I reached in to move my broody hen something bit me. Scared the pants off me. When I went back to see what knd of snake it was luckily it was just a rat snake, but a big one. Today my hen was making a lot of noise so I went to check and I found the same snake (I think) hat I took down the road to release yesterday with an egg halfway in his mouth. I took a closer look and there was another snake in the nest with him. I caught one and when I went back for the other and found 2 more. I moved them again. Are they going to keep coming back? I won't kill them since we have goats too so there is too much feed laying around and I want them to kill the rats.
54616_dsc05291.jpg

I went to close up the coop this evening and saw one of my full grown roosters flapping around on the coop floor. On closer inspection I see there is also a large 5'+ black snake wrapped tightly around his neck! I'm thinking "What in the world is this snake thinking?! He couldn't possibly eat this huge bird!" I quickly unwrapped the snake from my Roo but it was to late his normally red crop was black from (I'm Guessing) lack of oxygen and the snake has decided he would love to kill another as he heads for the next closest chicken! I am beyond mad so I grab him by the tail and beat him bloody against the bottom roost. I am one of those people who respect and understand snakes but I had the distinct feeling this snake would (had I not stopped him) have killed as many as he could have, and still would have left hungry!

I still am perplexed as to his intentions. I have never seen that behavior in a black snake. I have seen them nip and run from big game but never kill something so big lethally. They are usually pretty good at sizing what they can digest before wasting precious energy for naught. I'm seeing them in a different light now.

I've lost two rooster to large black snakes. I think the rooster attacks the snake to protect the hens and territory. they give it all up for their girls.

Back
Top Bottom