SNAKE in the henhouse

Thanks sooo much for not killing it!
smile.png

funny thing is, i think it was one of our BR hens that scared the snake off. she kicked it out of her favorite nest so she could lay her egg! i love those Barred Rocks. they are so feisty and friendly.

Quote:
(Silently thankful that my school doesn't allow poisonous snakes in the classroom)

Its not venomous for crying out loud its a rat snake and benificial.

that said , Rat snakes actually have a hook in their throats to break the egg, the yolk/white slides down and the egg is brought back up and spat out. thats how she was able to escape.
plug any and all holes so she cant get her beautiful self back in the coop, maybe leave an offering of egg near the wood pile, if she comes to expect it she will stay oout of the hen house.
doesnt anyone watch Nat Geo?

Nope still would have been a dead snake .. I've walked into the rabbit barn and found a snake in a cage .. all the babies gone .. snake with belly so big he now can't get OUT of the cage .. and you should see the panic as he sticks his head and neck out various holes trying to get away ..

Don't get me wrong, I like snakes, but not having one eatin' up my baby bunnies .. OR my chicken eggs (when I get some Chickens) .. lol

Great pics!

hell yes, snakes are cool. well, except when they're eating your baby bunnies : (

i didn't know about the egg hook! it doesn't surprise me that a snake would be so practical. they could teach us humans a thing or two about survival. we've only been around 3 million years and we've made a mess of the place! and snakes just keep on keepin' on.

Quote:
(Silently thankful that my school doesn't allow poisonous snakes in the classroom)

Its not venomous for crying out loud its a rat snake and benificial.

that said , Rat snakes actually have a hook in their throats to break the egg, the yolk/white slides down and the egg is brought back up and spat out. thats how she was able to escape.
plug any and all holes so she cant get her beautiful self back in the coop, maybe leave an offering of egg near the wood pile, if she comes to expect it she will stay oout of the hen house.
doesnt anyone watch Nat Geo?

She is a beauty!!! So glad she picked the right hen house to raid for eggs.
smile.png
I would gladly share with my resident rat snake if she would show her pretty face. Haven't seen her yet this year....hoping she is still around.

Quote:
You're gonna have to plug *all* the holes (hardware cloth, whatever)....even those at the top of the walls...especially if there's any "footing" the snake can get a grip on. They can't climb up a slick surface like plywood or metal *unless* they have somewhere (like trim boards) to get between and expand their body in. Leaving a rake handle or simply a 2x4 board leaning against the coop is an "On Ramp". Snakes do have quiet a knack for climbing if they can get a grip.

My mother had two rat snakes climbing up the outside of her chimney several years ago...very interesting to see. Just last year I heard the purple martins making a fuss and went to see what was going on...ended up being a big rat snake laying on the crossbars of the gourdrack, unfortunately I was in a hurry to get him down before he freaked the martins to badly and I didn't take pictures...if you look at the last picture below you will see a snake climbing on and then resting on top of what looks like a section of stovepipe (it is stovepipe, but has been turned into a "predator guard")....this is the same setup that my snake managed to climb past.

I've attached a few pictures for your viewing pleasure
ep.gif
and to give you an idea of their abilities...
Ed

501238989_8112cfbce5.jpg
snakeclimbswall.jpg
mr_tickles.jpg
Copy_of_Snake_climbing_tree1.jpg
snake.jpg

Back
Top Bottom