snake just ate my chicken

That one (on the shovel) is around 4 ft in length (it is held real close to the camera, which makes it look larger). The largest copperhead I've personally ever caught was a southern copperhead in southeast Oklahoma, just around 4 ft. But the largest on record (already mentioned) was a northern copperhead. They tend to get much larger.

Over the years working in forest and wildlife management activities, I'm aware of two studies involving snake removals/relocations using small radio transmitters forced into the snake's stomach for tracking. In one study on Eastern Diamondback Rattlers in north Florida, the males moved about 3 miles annually and in a rough circle. The females traveled about half of this distance, or about a mile and a half. The other study was with Red Rat Snakes, a common non-poisonuous snake in the southeastern USA. In one case a snake was relocated 17 miles from the place where it was initially captured, and several months later it was back very close to its capture point. I doubt if any species could be successfully relocated without being removed many miles.

It's been many, many years since I've had chickens, but back when I was growing up-with chickens-there were no Coopers or Red Tail or Red Shouldered Hawks. All hawks were "Chickin' Hawks" and were dealt with accordingly! Same with snakes....any species....that wandered into the yard where all chickens were free ranging! Can't do that now, however, and remain a law abiding citizen!

Our souther copperheads get up to 3 feet but the offical record is 52 inches.

This guy got this one in the next town over, said to be 6 foot but did not keep the snake as proof, even at that it looks pretty big in the photo I would say mabe 4 foot.

That's the largest copperhead I have EVER SEEN!!!!!

I'd say it was 5 foot or so. Around here 3 foot or so is a good copperhead. Poisonous or non poisonous I would catch and release it. No, I aint right bright! I like snakes.

ok...I am now terrified...Texas is full of critters and snakes and I am so afraid a snake will get in my little coop...wil bury the hardware cloth all around and fortify the windows and vents...what else?

This just happened....I was reading this thread...because I have been gone on a trip...neighbors were caring for my birds while I was gone...found my last pullet dead in the coop when I got home...head was all slick with dried fluid...I could see where a snake had constricted it...took it out and inspected the coop...no snake...just got on this thread and heard a ruckus in the coop outside...go out with flashlight and pistol with. 410 shells in it...find my seabright roo on the ground inside the coop...wings spread and breathing heavy...open the side door to the roost...and a chicken snake has my d'uccle roo in a death grip!!!...I grab a rake and start poking the snake with the handle end...he didn't want to let go!!!! I got lucky with a strike and caught him in the head...he let go...I then kept at him until he fell out the side door and to the ground...where I then ended him with my pistol...he was small enough to get thru chicken wire and strong enough to grab a 3 month old roo...FYI....he was a little over 3 feet long...now in snake heaven...roo seems fine!!!

Last edited:
Will 1/2 hardware cloth keep the snakes out???? We have fastenend the hardware cloth under the coop and run so nothing can dig under...........it truly covers every square inch of the run and underneath the coop and covers the windows. We have woods bordering our coop with lots of raccoons, hawks, fox, and a bear.... but I am really concerned with snakes now.......
sad.png

Last edited:
Ah, I searched Snake prevention on BYC forum and found that Sulfer Sulpher--- (why am I getting spell check error here?) You know that smelly yellow stuff--- will deter snakes. It is available in yard and garden centers for soil acidification and fungus control if the feed store doesn't have it. I had heard garlic, but sulpher makes good sense.

Oh duh...sulfur --- LOL a brain fade I guess

Last edited:
I agree you shouldnt kill the snake simply catch and release further away!!
Eight weeks old is not yet mature (or large) enough to allow snakes around as you've already found out. I don't worry about them around my mature hens as they really are too big for a snake (NATIVE to Florida) to be interested in, but eight weeks old is not quite there yet.
I would NOT kill the snakes however. Simply catch them and transport them at least a mile away and release. They're not venomous and not hard to catch. I don't do this with other chicken predators, just non-venomous snakes.

Back
Top Bottom