SNAKE PROBLEM...BIG SNAKE PROBLEM!

Shavings, if not too deep, should be less interesting for the snakes to come take cover in than hay. Good move.

Two days, NO snakes!! Nobody came back and no new ones arrived! We had a family meeting and decided that in the future we would relocate them even farther away into a swampy area where food should be plentiful. I, too, think that the shavings will be less inviting for those who might decide to take up residence! Thanks so much for the input! It's always welcome!

I had this same problem about 10 months ago, I have a pretty open coop set up so I knew snakes were gonna be an issue. It took 3 months for me to find one but when I did it was a 6 foot and a 5 foot chicken snakes, both found within a 24 hour span. I know this might sound really dumb but an old friend of mine that has had chickens since he was little ( he's now 72) swears that golf balls work when you put them inside your hen boxes as if they were eggs. I tried it and I haven't had a snake in 6 months. He also said if this doesn't work squeezing lemon and lime juice around your hen boxes will repel any snake problem, if not it sure will make them smell better! I know it sounds like a wise tail but it has worked for me and I hope it does the same for you.

- JB

Moth balls will repel snakes.
I've heard that moth balls work for skunks as well, I haven't tried them yet as so far I don't have a problem with either. The guinea people say that some guineas will go after snakes, but i'm sure not that big.

Back
Top Bottom