snake protection?

Oh my goodness - that's the creepiest situation! I'm so glad the man's granddaughter wasn't involved. So glad all the people and chickens are now safe. I have to show my b/f that pic! Thanks for telling us and sharing the photo.

OH MY!

besides making sure there are NO holes in the whole coop that isn't covered by welded wire.......I've heard that snakes hate mothballs....putting a few UNDER the coop where snake might want to hangout but chickens can't get to is wise if you are in a snake prone area.

Sandra

I've had black snakes in the coop several times. I kept finding dead chickens that looked healthy. I think they were getting suffocated but were too big to swallow. Then chicks started disappearing. It suddenly dawned on me that there had been a snake in the coop. As I was inside the coop repairing a snake size hole I realized that after eating two chicks that snake could not have gotten back out the hole. It took me five minutes to find him. He was laying flat under the straw right under the chickens roosting, who were totally oblivious. He was a young guy about 6 feet long. I moved him and the hair stood up on the back of my neck the whole time. The next time I saw him he had come back and squeezed through the chicken wire - only about a foot of him... and had gotten stuck. I had to jimmy a wire cutter between him and the wire to release him-tight fit! Then I noticed a smaller snake - maybe 4' and much slimmer who was inside the coop. Mr. Fat snake had brought a friend to lunch. I moved them - (a page on the web said if you move them more than a half mile they will die) - about a half mile : )
I hope they don't come back, but of course they will.
roll.png

Quote:
Wow- I've never heard that. On the contrary, I've always been told that (rattlers, at least) live their entire lives in a 10 mile radius.

Holy Sheepdip Batman!!!
ep.gif

I think I would've needed clean undies if I saw that in the coop...And I work with snakes at work...LOL

That was good about the granddaughter's dentist visit...
I have garter snakes around me...but none of the really big ones anymore. I think the raccoons and the coyotes got them:hit I have little ones now, only a foot or so...I even have one living in the door jamb of the front door.

I would have chopped that fat snake (stuck in wire) into and the small one would have been a goner.. I have no use for any kind of snakes. If I see them first they are dead snakes..IMHO--the only good snake is a dead snake... Now, I need to go put on my flame-proof undies... Dixie

Dixiedoodle said: ...I have no use for any kind of snakes. ...IMHO--the only good snake is a dead snake... Now, I need to go put on my flame-proof undies... Dixie

yuckyuck.gif

Welcome to the forum Dixiedoodle!
hitheresmiley.gif

I'm not in love with snakes, but I have a nine-year-old who is. In Texas, we have every kind of poisonous snake imaginable, so we've trained the kid not to pick up anything he can't identify as harmless. I REALLY hate rats, so snakes around the coop are fine with me. When they started developing behind my house we had a serious rat problem (in the attic, in the yard, on the patio during the day, in the bird feeders..) for a while. Yeech !! If the snakes eat anything chickeny, and my attitude will probably change.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom