1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hatchcrazzzy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i killed my second snake in a week today.i was missing a 4 week old chick 3 days ago and could not for the life of me could not find it.well today im a sleep and my wife came running in and said come quick there is a snake.so i got my gun and went to my brooder room and ther he lay in 1 of my brooders .i took aim and heaven bound.
    he had gotten another chick and could not get thru the wire top i put on it after losing the first one . snakes are bad with all this rain in texas [​IMG]

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Good job! I guess you might need some smaller mesh wire on the brooder.

My dd found a snake the size of a pencil in one of the coops but it got away. We dont see too many snakes where we are, but lots of mice. I guess if we had snakes then we wouldnt have so many mice, huh?

Im glad that you got rid of it before it ate up any more of your chicks.

chel

3. LaMamaGallina

LaMamaGallina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    everywhere
    What kind of snake?

4. hatchcrazzzy

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    it was a rat or chicken snake .people call them both around here in texas.[​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Jes wonderin..................where is your brooder?.....................what kind of brooder........................mine's usually a cardboard box in the laundry room..................I hope yours wasn't.......

and another preditor had it's last meal......

[​IMG]

6. hatchcrazzzy

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    my brooder is in my large shed.i have covered some holes tho.i want to put out my peachick but im afraid of snakes.brww:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by