Snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lovable Chicks, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have lived in this home for 12 1/2 years and today we found a fairly big snake right by my silkie coop. I have never seen a snake this close or this big since living here. We seen this snake last week in the creek behind our house so I think he was thinking of a chicken dinner... We just had to tell him different. I don't know snakes but a friend said it was a water moccasin???

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    pic?

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Wow no one was bitten....lucky if it was a moccasin they are extremely aggressive. They are dark dirty brown and appear black with pattern markings...they loosely coil and posture with an open mouth and inside cotton white....hence their name. They have a hemotoxin that is bad news.

http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. Lovable Chicks

Jun 23, 2010
    Sorry, No picture. Was aggressive as I have ever seen, striking but we had it pinned. It did look like the pictures.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Any snake will strike when pinned down, ven. or not. Yeah, a pic. would help. DH's family thinks EVERY snake is a water mocc. [​IMG], probably even little grass snakes...lol. And if one is near the water - then it MUST be a water mocc. to them. They are very snake phobic...

6. Lovable Chicks

Jun 23, 2010
    we seen this snake just laying in the water last week. i did not see it before being pinned

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone ever have any issues with snakes going beyond egg eating and going after your birds?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Wow! How big was that snake in the last picture??? How big was the chicken???

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    [im[im[​IMG]g]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/85053_img_0268.jpg[/img]g][/img]2 weeks ago I noticed this black snake in my bluebird box eating eggs after terrifying the mother bird. Grabbed the camera, and after these pics it disappeared into the box and wouldn't come out. We normally don't kill black snakes on our farm even though this one was about 50 feet from my coop, but the following week my husband ran over it in the yard with the riding lawnmower just next to the coop containing our 38 2 month old chicks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:God, works in mysterious ways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by