Snakes with an S Graphic

After this little incident last summer of a rattlesnake in a nest box I don't ask questions. I'm glad you got him, and I's sure glad it was a fake egg!
5415_snake_bite.jpg

Quote:
Yay! Glad to know that. Good for you for taking one out!

Well, it's always good to check the protected status, I suppose. We have Timber rattlers here, and I was REALLY wanting a hatband out of one of those .. I guess that won't happen... LOL

Although I LOVE the scientific name of the Timber rattler. Cortalus HORRIDUS ... bwa hahahaha

Not protected here, no snake is.

But I know we have Timbers, I've seen them dead in the road. But honestly? I've NEVER seen one close to the house or yard at all. Same with copperheads.

The Massasaguas however are just flaming EVIL snakes and we kill a good 100 a year. Which means there are 1,000 we don't see.

Oh.My.Trinity. That is the most terrifying thing in the world to me. where I live the worst snake aorund is a garter snake. ThanksGosh. I swear the OP pic is going to give me nightmares.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Well, it's always good to check the protected status, I suppose. We have Timber rattlers here, and I was REALLY wanting a hatband out of one of those .. I guess that won't happen... LOL

Although I LOVE the scientific name of the Timber rattler. Cortalus HORRIDUS ... bwa hahahaha

But I know we have Timbers, I've seen them dead in the road. But honestly? I've NEVER seen one close to the house or yard at all. Same with copperheads.

The Massasaguas however are just flaming EVIL snakes and we kill a good 100 a year. Which means there are 1,000 we don't see.

And they are trying to put THAT little monster under protective status...
barnie.gif

Quote:

And they are trying to put THAT little monster under protective status...
barnie.gif

I know, their habitat is shrinking, blah blah blah.

I do not care. They have the stupid small being Napoleanic complex. I am BIG and I will prove how BIG I am. Yeah, fine, I don't care if the garter snakes do that, they aren't going to kill the kids or dogs or me.

They make them endangered here, I can't help the fact my chickens kill snakes, can I?

Apparently I shouldn't let my chickens kill them, but well, I ain't getting close enough to touch the stupid thing, and I'm not firing snake shot into a mass of chickens, I'll likely hurt/kill the chickens and leave a ticked snake ready to strike. I just know I let them do what they want to do, and I'll find the head left on the ground. Which are picked up VERY VERY VERY carefully by an adult/near adult child and disposed of properly.

Quote:
Please be careful when you say that a Copperhead bite won't kill you. We had a local man who raised poisonous snakes die from a Copperhead bite. He had been bitten in the past with not much of an ill effect but this time he was dead within minutes. Several people are looking at jail time now over it.

I do know that they are one of the least venomous but they can still kill. Here is one of the articles that describe the events...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_193507.asp

Quote:
Please be careful when you say that a Copperhead bite won't kill you. We had a local man who raised poisonous snakes die from a Copperhead bite. He had been bitten in the past with not much of an ill effect but this time he was dead within minutes. Several people are looking at jail time now over it.

I do know that they are one of the least venomous but they can still kill. Here is one of the articles that describe the events...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_193507.asp

sure, there are always exceptions .. just about anything can kill you if you're hit in a vulnerable spot, or with a bit of back luck (if you will) .. people have died from cat bites - personally, I'd rather handle a snake than a cat .. but that's another story..... ... but as vipers go, Copperheads are pussycats, no pun intended.
wink.png

I have been bitten by a copperhead a few years back and as far as not being aggressive, not so. I was sitting in the middle of summer on a chair on the porch and I saw him come across the porch, being terrified of snakes I froze. Thinking he would just go on by I did not move a muscle. He was just inches from me when he suddenly struck. I had to have four skin graphs and put up with endless digging in the place that routed out because of the bite. I was sick for weeks even after meds. So if anyone tells you that copperheads are not a problem, bull. I would suggest killing them without thought.

We cherish our rat snakes here! If they get caught up in our bird netting we carefully cut them out and set them free.

I don't care for Copperheads. Last year one bit my Sebastopol gander, Tundra, and killed him. There was absolutely nothing we could do. It happened so fast. We usually don't have a problem with snakes as our guineas dispatch them quite well! But we live in the woods and occassionally we get a Copperhead or two that gets away from the guineas.

Two years ago one bit my dog. We were able to get her to the vet in time but Tundra we lost.

Cutting a rat snake out of some bird netting.

24335_20100410_24.jpg

Excuse the shirtless hubby. He came running when my grandson yelled "SNAKE!" He didn't bother to put a shirt on, he was afraid it was a Copperhead. LOL But this is our grandson holding the 5 ft rat snake after it was cut out of the netting. Then hubby took it up into the woods to let it go.

24335_20100410_28.jpg

I can't find my other pics but we have other pics of some Smooth Green snakes that we've found on our property. Beautiful creatures! We pick them up, take pics of them and then release them.

Laurie

Wow, you learn something every day on this site!

I have always been interested in snakes and thought that I knew of every venomous snake in North America but I had to google Massasaguas to find out what it was. I thought you guys were making that word up or speaking in code, but found out that the Massasaguas is very real.

Cool to find out that our brothers and sisters of the North East have their very own indigenous rattle snake! Since you say that it is evil, you guys can keep em!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom