Snakes with an S Graphic

Nope, there are about a million versions of Massasaguas. Some apparently are endangered in some states. I'd offer to catch and release the ones here, but yeah right, they don't act nice, we don't treat them nice.

I like rat snakes. VERY good rodent control. Plus, here, predator proofing against wolves, coyotes and cougars - there is wire on the ground and the pen is hot wired. Big snakes don't get into the chickens. Garters get in still, but those are very quickly turned into chicken snacks.

Yall aren't gonna believe this but I had left the snake hanging in the window thinking it was dead. I said to myself guess I'll go get my fake egg out of the snakes stomach. The snake was gone. I was freaking out . I started looking around & the goofy snake was up in the rafters inside the coop.Needless to say I got my fake egg back. Don't fret I had trapped a small hog a few weeks back & have been fattening him up before I process him for table meat. So I fed him the snakes. Waste not want not. I'll get a picture of the hog & post it here. It's a perfect size pig for the smoker. What a day? Now my coturnix's are hatching to boot. Yee- dogies.

Quote:
Snakes are good at playing dead. My cat used to bring them home constantly. There would be a snake on my backsteps, I'd go to pick it up thinking it was dead, and lo and behold the little suckers would come back to life. I like snakes, have had several pet pythons, but coming up on one unexpected, or one rearing back to life I thought was dead, still gives me the heebie jeebies. The worst are the mean black rat snakes that like to sneak into our downstairs bathroom. They are huge, and not the suprise you want to get when sitting down to do business.
th.gif
Mean little suckers when they are cornered too.

Quote:
Had that happen with a nasty tempered little moc the other day. DH whacked it and thought it was dead...not so much. I told him to move and let me take care of it.
I believe it was in 3 pieces when I was finished. It wasn't "playing dead" when I was done with it.

There's a black rat snake *somewhere* in our basement. I have no idea where, but we find its sheds in the rafters from time to time. I'm happy he's there; our house goes through periodic rodent infestations, and anything helping get rid of them is more than welcome here.
lol.png

Quote:
Snakes are good at playing dead. My cat used to bring them home constantly. There would be a snake on my backsteps, I'd go to pick it up thinking it was dead, and lo and behold the little suckers would come back to life. I like snakes, have had several pet pythons, but coming up on one unexpected, or one rearing back to life I thought was dead, still gives me the heebie jeebies. The worst are the mean black rat snakes that like to sneak into our downstairs bathroom. They are huge, and not the suprise you want to get when sitting down to do business.
th.gif
Mean little suckers when they are cornered too.

Guess your right I thought the hot wire had got him. I'm now debating that the hot wire wouldn't have killed him. I have had a few small snakes killed by the hot wire but something that big won't get killed by the hot-wire. Again, be on the look out when entering your coop. I've been around alot of snakes & they still scare me . I know there's alot of lady's here at BYC that won't wanna see snakes in their coops. You'll be fine Just slow down & take a look around .

Back
Top Bottom