Snakes

I have seen my share of black snakes and even copper heads. We are very close to the Flint River. I pray that I never see one in my coops. My neighbor has experienced snakes in her guinea pen. I think I have too many and they would kill it (my hope anyway) before it had time to do any damage. I have goats and horses as well, so I think they help in keeping the snakes away. Good luck and welcome to BYC.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for members on the BYC roost!:highfive: I have seen at least 10-15 snakes on my property but have never experienced them getting near the chicken coop. So unfortunately, I can't really help you. The only pest I mainly deal with are mice.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

I usually pull 3 or 4 rat snakes out of the nest box over a spring/summer/fall. They're quite docile. I just pick them up and take them to the edge of the yard/woods or let them go in the brush pile. I'd rather have them around than worry about the few eggs they get.

:oops:

I hate worms so.... :lau
My mother-in-law went out of State one summer and asked me to water her lovely green yard.....
First day, underneath the outside faucet was a garter snake. She came home to a brown yard. Yep, I was THAT bad 15 years ago! :lau
I'm just a little better now!

Back
Top Bottom