Snakes...

1A7BCBB2-D43B-453D-9E2A-79DB7A9FB763.jpeg
0446138A-F624-4B30-96CE-1EC384E081E6.jpeg
8390A1B0-0B60-4B7B-BE34-6280297473FB.jpeg

Since you have mowed ... that "should" keep them away, as they don't like to go out into open areas where they become the prey ...

Have you looked to see if you have any rodent problems ... as snakes won't usually seek out just eggs ... but if they are following a mouse/rat trail ... and discover eggs ...

I haven't seen any mice, and since February I've seen two smaller field rats. One while mowing the first time months ago and one after the pasture was mowed up near the house. I haven't seen any in or near the chicken house. I'll probably have to put out bait stations to see if that helps make a dent in what I can only assume is a healthy population out in the country.

I have learned that apparently once snakes find a food source like nest boxes they will continue to return for an easy meal and that if you're relocating them you should move them at least ten miles away, which seems crazy. Who knew snakes would travel that far?

Goodness gracious, that one in the middle has a TON of eggs in it. We had a rat snake get into our coop once and took three eggs. The only way he made it out if they coop was with a bullet in his head.

Actually those aren't eggs. That's just it holding itself onto the seam in between two pieces of corrugated aluminum. That's what's even weirder. The majority of the snakes I've found in the chicken house, under and in the nest boxes don't seem to have any eggs in them. Which means they've already been eaten for the day and these snakes are the last to the meal train. They are like velociraptors in Jurassic Park. Their checking the boxes systematically for eggs. They're learning... lol

I haven't seen any mice, and since February I've seen two smaller field rat

While you may not see them out and about ... they may still be there, and what has been drawing all the snakes ...

Look closely for little rodent poops ... hole/tunnels ... turn over all your floor bedding stuff ... see what runs ...

Has your chicken feed consumption increased?

While you may not see them out and about ... they may still be there, and what has been drawing all the snakes ...

Look closely for little rodent poops ... hole/tunnels ... turn over all your floor bedding stuff ... see what runs ...

Has your chicken feed consumption increased?

Feed has increased but I’ve quadrupled the amount of birds. Lol I’ve checked the house. No poops or urine on the feeders or in the bedding.

I haven't seen any mice, and since February I've seen two smaller field rats. One while mowing the first time months ago and one after the pasture was mowed up near the house. I haven't seen any in or near the chicken house. I'll probably have to put out bait stations to see if that helps make a dent in what I can only assume is a healthy population out in the country.

I have learned that apparently once snakes find a food source like nest boxes they will continue to return for an easy meal and that if you're relocating them you should move them at least ten miles away, which seems crazy. Who knew snakes would travel that far?
Wow! Where did you get the ten mile relocation number?

Back
Top Bottom