Snakes

What kind and what size? If they’re small enough and not poisonous, the chickens will take care of the problem for you; at least ours do. They treat them like moving spaghetti noodles.

I have an over abundance of snakes of various colors and flavors, including venomous copperheads, and the occasional rattler.

My chooks free range daily, and have never had a problem, except for the occasional egg eating serpent, entering through an open coop door ..... They don't seem interested in the full sized chickens, but I imagine a smaller chick might be in danger.

I've seen the birds stepping over a 7 foot black snake to get to the nest box !

I was worried at first about the copperheads, as all three of my dogs have been bitten in the past, but truthfully, I haven't seen one in 2 years ..... I think the chickens made em move along to a more secure area.

That said, I do not have a rodent problem, I believe from the presence of the snakes, which provides a natural balance of predator, and prey. I have only dispatched a couple of egg eating snakes, and leave the rest for the reasons stated above.

Your Mileage May Vary .....

I'm so glad we have very nice gun laws in Australia so not to many people have guns. and shovels are for gardening not for killing

Back
Top Bottom