Snaplock Coop and Ador door....PERFECT!

workaholic90

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Howdy ya'll........just a post to let chicken keepers know about the snaplock coop.....it's awesome and we just put on the automatic door, my life is officially better. No more waking up very early. Does anyone know if there is a battery operated light that goes off and on based on a timer? I want to put just a little light in the coop to let them have some time to settle in on the roosting bars.

Gosh I love chickens!

The chickens will parade into the coop when they think it is dark enough. They will roost right away. It won't be dark enough for them to need supplemental light for roosting.

Just watch them some evening. You will see how they go inside to roost. It will still be somewhat light out, but bedtime for them.

Chris

I guess the other question I have is we have sand on the floor and did all spring/summer. I am thinking of using straw in the winter to provide some extra heat but do I just keep packing ontop of it and how do i keep the girls from stepping on it. They don't like to stay inside the coop very often and I am guessing bc it's small but small is better in the winter bc they will generate some heat and not have some big huge space.

Suggestions/tutorials are greatly appreciated!!!

I think ADOR is developing a timed light as an add on.

It's cool that you were able to put that door on that coop!

Not any windows on that coop huh?

Where are you located? Knowing your climate would help to make suggestions for bedding.

Sand can work well in a coop, but maybe not so great in a very cold location.
Straw can harbor pests, can mold quickly and will not generate heat tho it might insulate the floor.
Wood shavings is probably your best bet...not sure why you wouldn't want them stepping on it.

That black base looks hollow underneath, you might be able to put some foam board under there and cover it with a thin piece of plywood so they wouldn't peck at the foam. That would insulate the floor from the cold.

Last edited:
Howdy ya'll........just a post to let chicken keepers know about the snaplock coop.....it's awesome and we just put on the automatic door, my life is officially better. No more waking up very early. Does anyone know if there is a battery operated light that goes off and on based on a timer? I want to put just a little light in the coop to let them have some time to settle in on the roosting bars. Gosh I love chickens!
I want to do this. Did you have to drill into the plastic to attach the wood to the coop or did you attach it some other way?

That would be great thanks. I'm mostly worried about the winter months and want the chickens to be able to run free in the barn during the day.

OMG, I LOVE this! I just got this coop and was wondering how to put an automatic door on it. I know this is an old post, but you mentioned you were going to show close up pics on how you did it. If you are still on this site, would you be able to post pics? I am new and trying to figure out how to get my coop/run etc setup to be pretty automatic. This would totally help! Thank you!

Howdy ya'll........just a post to let chicken keepers know about the snaplock coop.....it's awesome and we just put on the automatic door, my life is officially better. No more waking up very early. Does anyone know if there is a battery operated light that goes off and on based on a timer? I want to put just a little light in the coop to let them have some time to settle in on the roosting bars.

Gosh I love chickens!

I was just searching for an answer to this exact same question. I just got a small Formex snaplock coop with the curved door, and I'm hoping to get a pop door setup for it, too. Anyone got any advice? Mewzikl, did you find anything?

Back
Top Bottom