Snapping Turtles

I have a huge snapping turtle in my lake that's entirely covered in algae. At this point it's never harmed a single animal to my knowledge and both of my dogs regularly go swimming in the lake. I think turtles are in general harmless and far more scared of us than we are of them

Usually when the turtle sees me he immediately swims away
Years ago a friend's daughter had a chunk taken out of her leg after she had an unfortunate meeting with a snapping turtle while swimming in a pond. They didn't know that pond had snappers in it.
A year or two ago, my husband and daughter came across a large snapper on a walk to the back of our property. My daughter ran in to have me go out and look also. Largest turtle I ever saw other than the large tortoise at the zoo! Our dog wanted to fight it, but my husband picked her up so she couldn't get too it. I think it could have killed her.

Years ago a friend's daughter had a chunk taken out of her leg after she had an unfortunate meeting with a snapping turtle while swimming in a pond. They didn't know that pond had snappers in it.
A year or two ago, my husband and daughter came across a large snapper on a walk to the back of our property. My daughter ran in to have me go out and look also. Largest turtle I ever saw other than the large tortoise at the zoo! Our dog wanted to fight it, but my husband picked her up so she couldn't get too it. I think it could have killed her.
That's terrible to hear about your friend's daughter

The common snapper covers almost the entire continent, even up in Canada. I would in general always assume any natural body of water to have snappers in it

If the common snapper is swimming it'll swim away when seeing people. However if it's buried it'll just hold still and try to avoid being seen. This is the dangerous situation

I never swim where I can't see where my feet will step. It would be a nightmare stepping on one of these things

That's terrible to hear about your friend's daughter

The common snapper covers almost the entire continent, even up in Canada. I would in general always assume any natural body of water to have snappers in it

If the common snapper is swimming it'll swim away when seeing people. However if it's buried it'll just hold still and try to avoid being seen. This is the dangerous situation

I never swim where I can't see where my feet will step. It would be a nightmare stepping on one of these things
It was so long ago that I don't remember all the details. I just remember the little girl's dad telling us about it. It was a reminder to all of us to be careful and aware. I always preferred to swim in a pool....where I was sure to see anything in the water! I never really liked to swim in a lake or pond.

Back
Top Bottom