Sneezing and nasal discharge

NicoleSimon

Hatching
Apr 2, 2016
Hello everyone! I am new to backyard chickens. I have had my girls (4 of them) for one week and one of them is sneezing and has some clear discharge from her nose. I asked the breeder I got them from and she doesn't vaccinate them :/ she said starting them on medicated feed is enough... And no avian vet around here is open today. They are in a brooder box, it's nice and warm, clean food and water. I've been giving them electrolytes. What can I or should I do??

Welcome to BYC!
Generally speaking the "medicated feed" that is available is not going to do a thing for respiratory issues as they are designed to control coccidiosis, which is an entirely different issue.....it sounds like you have had the misfortune of obtaining stock from a breeder who is either ignorant or uninterested in helping you, neither of which is good.
Is the discharge thick or thing and watery? Is there any swelling around the face/eyes? What are you bedding the chicks with?

Thank you and Hello! I've been a vet tech for 14 years, small animal and exotics but know nothing about chickens lol. I've been reading a lot but this is all new to me. The discharge is watery thin and clear, no swelling. But she sneezes often and when I was holding her last night her chest has a rattle. I contacted her breeder and she said to give electrolytes and this Duramycin-10 medication in all of their water and in a few days they will be fine. She said to keep some on hand always. They are bedded with pine shavings.

I have one doing the same! We ended up gettinf oxytatracyclin hci. It seems to be helpling. You can also try tylan50 it the other stuff doesnt work. Ive heard wonders on tylan50

Back
Top Bottom