Sneezing and runny noses

kylieschooks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
London
I have 6 chickens, and all of them are sneezing and have runny noses :-( took one to the vet yesterday and she gave antibiotics as she said this one had a respiratory infection. Is there anything else I can do to help them?

I agree with your vet; it sounds like a respiratory infection. If its a bacterial respiratory disease, antibiotics will help, though if its a virus, they will not.

Keep them warm and out of drafts. Also, give electrolytes and vitamins, but don't give probiotics or other dairy products.Make sure that she gets enough to eat. If she isn't interested in eating, you could give her some scrambled eggs, raw egg, moistened chicken feed, or applesauce.

Thanks....

I'm about to go back to vets to get a course of antibiotics for the rest of the chooks, the one I took yesterday had 2 injections. They don't seem ill and they are all eating very well. I really hope this doesn't turn out bad.

Is it common for them to get respiratory infections and pull through? Or have they got a high chance of becoming worse and loosing them?

Cheers

Also would you suggest tht I lock them up in the coop today as it is quite windy outside. Maybe make them some warm porridge for inside coop?

Thanks

In response to your first question: Respiratory diseases usually aren't too deadly. Your birds seem to have a mild respiratory disease, so I wouldn't worry about them dying right now. Some respiratory diseases are more harmful than others. For example, Infectious Laryngotracheitis is more serious than Infectious Bronchitis.

To your second question: I think that they will be fine in the wind, as long as it isn't too cold outside. You can definitely give them some warm, moistened feed, as chickens seem to really like it.

Back
Top Bottom