1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie1977, May 24, 2014.

1. Julie1977

Julie1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi, I have
    a 3 week old chick that seems to
    be sneezing. Should I be giving it something for it or is this normal?
    Thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Any smoke will make them sneeze ....

Have you checked the beak for any obstruction in the nasal cavity ???

Feed you chick a hard boiled egg just mash it up first and serve and do this for several days and if the chick wont eat the egg you do have a little problem ....

3. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi, I have four little ones that we hatched from a incubator. The one has been sneezing and kind of like smacking it's lips you might say and yes, it is eating I did give them a little smashed boiled egg yesterday. I am fairly new to the chicken world and also have 17 adults. I just was not sure if maybe the little one has a cold of something catchy? Thank you so much for the advice :)

4. gander007

Ok then is the beak have any damp spots like a runny nose ????

Have you put Probiotic in the drinking water ????

I also do Echinacea in my chick's water when I hear any sneezing ....

5. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi, I checked and no runny nose just gives a single chirp quite often and closes it's eyes so I believe there is something wrong with the little guy. I will be checking into probiotics today does it come in liquid form or powder. Thanks for the help Gander007. Julie

6. gander007

The feed store has it for around 3 to 4 dollars and there is 3 packs together and one pack is for a gallon of water so you should have enough for a week ....

Oh and it is a powder and some people just add it to the feed ...

7. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Ok thank you so much! Somebody also told me electrolites might help as well. Do you think the probiotics would work the best? And I do thank you so much for your time :)

8. gander007

I often mix Probiotic & Electrolyte but Electrolyte is to help with dehydration ...

9. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hello Gander007 and thanks again, I have been giving them the probiotic in their water but not much of a change for my little one yet. Is it way to soon to see any improvement? He is still very small and developing very slowly next to his 3 siblings. I am very worried for him...... Julie

10. gander007

Just takes some time but if you would like boil up some egg's and let him eat first and then let the rest eat the rest and see how it affects the growth ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by