Sneezing baby chicks

Norcalexplorer

Songster
Sep 3, 2019
Northern California
I just saw 2 of my baby chicks sneezing this afternoon. No other symptoms though. Is this the first sign of a respiratory issue? Should I separate the two that I have noticed that have been sneezing a little. Thank you for your help. I’d be devastated if anything happened to them.
Nope can’t separate them they lost their minds being away from the other part of the flock. I’m going to put some vetRx in their water. Anything else I should or could do?? Thank you!

How old are they? Check to make sure their nostrils are clear with no dried mucus or secretions. Wet or moldy bedding, dust in feed or in the brooder are some causes for sneezing. Have you seen any respiratory issues in older chickens in your flock before? Did you hatch these chicks?

They are 3 weeks old. I change their bedding daily and am using pine shavings. Only thing though is it does get damp in there bc they are being raised with 2 2 1/2 week old ducks. I tried separating them but both sets the chicks and ducks lost it being apart. When it does get damp I then lay dry shavings over the top until I clean it again before bedtime.
No nasal discharge I can see or eye issues. Although one of them that seems to be sneezing the most ( she’s the biggest) always seems to act hot with her wings out when we’re outside to play ( and it’s been in the low and mid 80’s here.
The sneezing is new for both chicks today.

Oh
They are 3 weeks old. I change their bedding daily and am using pine shavings. Only thing though is it does get damp in there bc they are being raised with 2 2 1/2 week old ducks. I tried separating them but both sets the chicks and ducks lost it being apart. When it does get damp I then lay dry shavings over the top until I clean it again before bedtime.
No nasal discharge I can see or eye issues. Although one of them that seems to be sneezing the most ( she’s the biggest) always seems to act hot with her wings out when we’re outside to play ( and it’s been in the low and mid 80’s here.
The sneezing is new for both chicks today.
and sorry we got them from TSC and no fortunately I haven’t.

Have you treated them with anything or done anything different? Are they doing better?
They are!! No more sneezes! It was the pine dust! I switched to hay and got a wayyy bigger brooder set up and moved everybody from the laundry room to the garage, where the ducks will be separated from the chicks. We’ve tried a couple of times to separate them but the birds that can fly always fly into the ducks brooder as Daisy and Donald scream their heads off calling for their friends. ( they are already such a tight flock) So currently( until today) we’ve left them together and I did the water trick of cutting holes onto the top of a Tupperware container so that my ducklings can only get their heads into the water. It’s made a HUGE difference in the water getting everywhere.
I thought I was helping by removing the shavings and covering with another layer, but all I was doing was creating more dust and shavings for the birds to dig in :(
I am sooooo thankful that that was the issue and NOT them getting sick. WHEW!
I’ll post updated pictures at the end of the weekend of their new enclosures after my partner and I finish it this weekend :)
I am sooo happy to report that they are all happy, healthy and playing like little maniacs.
And for fun here’s a pic of my lap chickens during playtime yesterday :)
7BA7ABD7-6949-4DDE-92BC-8F52FA552135.jpeg

Attachments

• E385A930-AB72-402C-8ADC-C3C7182224B5.jpeg
    E385A930-AB72-402C-8ADC-C3C7182224B5.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom